We got hit with a $500 bill for rentals AFTER our wedding! What would you do??

posted 2 years ago in Venue
Post # 2
134 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2015 - Calamigos Ranch

It’s really annoying that they didn’t give you the correct price on the “final” invoice! I’m not sure what you are leagally bound to. Do you have a contract with them with more details? I doubt they’d sue you for the $496 because it probably costs that much to file the court paperwork. But they did deliver your chairs, set them up and tear them down. So I’d re-read the contract, consult an attorney friend, and do what I think is morally right.

Post # 4
1230 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

sara5ann:  Then I wouldn’t pay it! If there is no contract, then I don’t see how you are liable for ANOTHER bill!! They need to get organized over there!

Post # 6
206 posts
Helper bee

sara5ann: Did they give you a price quote before you agreed to their service?

That’s not fair for them to bring up new charges after the quote and invoice. Yes, that was a service you should have been charged for, but it was their mistake. 

I would definitely talk to them about what they can do about it before paying it. 

Post # 8
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

No contract, but you must have had some kind of discussion about what the charges would be because you said yourself that you noticed the charge was missing before she emailed you about it. The company made a mistake, yes, but they still did the work. You should pay.

Post # 11
5800 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

If there was an invoice that you’ve paid at least partially on, then that constitutes a contract. It’s their mistake, but they did send you an updated invoice that you didn’t open. Ask if they can split the bill with you since it was their mistake.

Post # 12
42182 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

The ethical thing to do is to pay the amount you owe. You noticed the mistake, she noticed the mistake and sent you another bill. People are human, even vendors make mistakes.

You benefitted from their chairs and their service.

Post # 15
169 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2017

The emails could constitute a contract.

Basically for a contract all you need is an agreement (offer and acceptance) and consideration (money) to pass from one party to the next (either present or future). Based on this those emails could be a binding contract. 

I would go get some legal advice – see if there are some free sessions in your area. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors