(Closed) Wedding 3,000 miles away – should I ship my dress?

posted 8 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
183 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Mine will be taking three flights too and honestly, I would take it with you – don’t let it out of your sight! I don’t have any experience shipping it but it is the one thing that I think would be catastrophic to lose. If you do ship it, I’d ship it way ahead so that, if the unthinkable does happen, you can use the insurance money to replace it.

Post # 4
1641 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

NO WAY would I ship it! i’ve had luggage lost on me several times and the more layovers you ahve, the higher the chance.

Post # 5
76 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

You could also use USPS Registered Mail. They are insured up to 25k and someone is responsible for the package each step of the way. I know this since a few jewelers I’ve worked with have used this to ship my pieces back and forth.

Post # 6
1897 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

Eh, I dont know girl….as much as it sucks, I would take that baby with me!  I think you would be fine shipping it, but there’s always that “what if” factor.   I saw a girl flying with her gown a few weeks ago, she looked miserable.  But at least she knew it was in good hands!

Post # 7
337 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

helllll no!  I’m definitely taking that sucker with me, it’s not even getting checked with baggage.  i have the worst luck so i’m not taking any chances there.

Post # 8
962 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

check with the airline.  i’ve got a lot of experience in aviation and even smaller aircraft have closets!  dont be afraid to call the airline and tell them your deal.  they can look at your flights, check the type of aircraft and let you know what sort of storage is available for it.  airlines are super accommodating to brides with dresses.  i’ve seen a pilot in a small aircraft take one into the cockpit for the flight to hang on his jacket hook because there wasnt one in the body of the aircraft for it to hang on. i’m flying 3000 miles to my wedding too and that dress is going to be in my hands every step of the way!

Post # 9
160 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I will be in the same shoes next summer – living in TX with a wedding in NH!  I am taking my dress on the plane with me.  Check with your airline most have closets for situations just like yours!!  I flew continental recently and when I was reading about what you could/couldn’t bring on the plane it said they not only could put your dress in the closet but they also rented garment bags – I thought that was interesting.  Good luck!

The topic ‘Wedding 3,000 miles away – should I ship my dress?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors