(Closed) Wedding cake, sugar flowers: $2.75 – $7.50 per flower …. woah

posted 9 years ago in Food
Post # 3
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

yeah, I think that sounds about right.  Real flowers are much cheaper, so we’re doing that.  My cakemaker does these amazingly cute sugar butterflies and dragonflies ($5ea), though, so we’re adding a couple of those. 

Post # 4
103 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

We are having frangipani (plumeria) made to go on our cake out of rolled white chocolate and they are charging $75 total so I’d say your estimate is pretty right. We’ll probably end up with 15-20 (edible) flowers on our cake.

Post # 5
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

You can get them wholesale yourself for a little less than that (google wholesale sugar flowers) but they are very expensive! I fell in love with one of those sugar-flower-covered cakes but my baker said it would cost like $800, which was way out of our budget. We went with real flowers on top to decorate instead.

Post # 6
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

It’s crazy how expensive the sugar flowers can be!!  We’re going with real flowers on our cake, which I prefer to the sugar variety.

Post # 7
739 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009 - Red Fish Grill

We placed the order for our cake two days ago.  I am thrilled with the amazing deal that we’ve gotten (100 servings/3-tiers/fondant for $400), which for a popular baker in Miami is relatively unheard of.  Anyway, when she ran through the breakdown, I was surprised to find that the sugarpaste flowers (2-3 each of anemones and peonies) accounted for a quarter of the total cost.  Granted, they look unbelievably realistic (which is the only reason I chose them over actual flowers), so I know that they take a decent amount of time to create.

There are a number of websites that sell sugarpaste/gumpaste flowers.  Sugarcraft offers a wide variety.  You can also purchase flowers/decoration kits through Wendy Kromer’s site, though they’re definitely a splurge.  If you do end up ordering sugarpaste flowers, keep in mind that they tend to be fragile, so some breakage in transit is not uncommon.  It may be a good idea to order a few extra.

Post # 8
647 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I’ve seen cake shows on TV where the bakers make the sugar flowers, and they are incredibly time intensive, which is probably why they cost so much!  I think that real flowers would be lovely and much cheaper.  I’ve heard that some flowers are edible?  Maybe that would be a unique option for you all.

The topic ‘Wedding cake, sugar flowers: $2.75 – $7.50 per flower …. woah’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors