(Closed) Wedding date for Friday 11th, 2011 (11/11/11) Parents fighting!?!?

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
7430 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m not following. It doesn’t seem like you expecting your fiances family to contribute? If not then, why does it matter what they say? And how the hell can they dictate whose coming, especially if its your parents? I’ll be damned if I let ANYONE disrespect my parents. So what should you do, grow a pair and stand up for yourself, your date, your vision and your parents.

Post # 6
1398 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

That’s my date also. The good thing is that it is also Veterans day and many people have that day off. I had an issue with it, but then i found out that at least two of my vendors give a cut rate for non-saturday wedding dates so i don’t feel so bad about the friday date. most people think it is pretty cool

Post # 7
780 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

We’re having a Friday evening wedding (7/22/11) and it’s not a big deal.  We are only inviting 75 guests, and they are our immediate family and very best friends.  So they don’t mind taking that Friday off or 1/2 a day of work that day.  @SandyThePoet: is right.  We saved upwards of $2000 for having it on a non traditional Saturday with the venue and we have lots of wiggle room with other vendors bc of the date. 

The fact that your date has significant meaning (11/11/11) should be quite understandable to anyone and everyone. 

I’m also confused like the other bees.  Are you saying bc of your DATE your FI’s parents don’t want to help him with his wedding financially (it’s not just your wedding it’s HIS too.  And are they not willing to help their son with his wedding bc it’s a Friday)….???

Post # 8
263 posts
Helper bee

I’m a little confused too, but I will second what katieebee said: I am having a Friday wedding and am saving $2000 on my rental fee and an additional $2500 just because the food/beverage minimum costs were less on a Friday than for a Saturday event.

Post # 9
780 posts
Busy bee

**FAINTED**.  I ACTUALLY HAVE A DATE TWIN!!!!!!!!

Hi-ya @meladoug:!!!!!!!

Post # 10
258 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Yeesh, if they’re gonna be THAT way about it, I say that THEY shouldn’t be invited. 

You should just smile in their face and then go along your merry way doing what you had always planned on doing.  And when they ask you about it, you just say “oh yeah, it just didn’t work out that way.  Sorriezzzz”.   

Post # 11
7430 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Well what I’m learning is as couple you have to stand firm in your decisions. There will always be someone body to tell you what you should do, how much it would cost if they did, etc. With all due respect to BOTH sets of parents, its you and your FH day. It should be reflective of your choices, preferances and beliefs. If anyone wants to use their financial contributions as some kind of blackmail or power trip, then plan your day without their $$$ so you can do what you want. Good luck.

Post # 12
858 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

If they aren’t paying, they don’t really get a say. I don’t see how they can say “Your parents can’t come if they aren’t paying!” Bah. Loney. Also, if they think you need alcohol at your wedding so darn bad, say, “Well, its not in our budget, so unless you’re picking up the tab, it will be dry because we refuse to have a cash bar.”
And finally, I had a Friday wedding too. It was really nice, and as other posters have mentioned, you get a lot of reduced rates (especially since it sounds like you and your FI are going to be paying yourselves). Don’t let them bully either of you. Its NOT about them. Yes, you’d love for them to celebrate with you and enjoy themselves, but ultimately it comes down to what makes YOU and you FI happy.

The topic ‘Wedding date for Friday 11th, 2011 (11/11/11) Parents fighting!?!?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors