Post # 1
Ok, so I got engaged last Friday. While the proposal was a surprise (he did a great job popping the question), the fact that we would be engaged wasn’t. We have been together for 7 1/2 years.
So here are my problems: FI is in his third year of medical school and if we get married anytime between now and July 2013, I only have two dates to choose from. One date is the day between Good Friday and Easter (potential problems for family, plus no time to plan and some venues closed) and June 22 (I want to get married outside and in the South, it is so HOT!!!!).
I would say, let’s wait until after July 2013 and get married at a more temperate time, but problems are #1 his fourth year schedule for med school is a mystery and #2 (and most importantly) my mother has stage 4 liver cancer.
As far as locations, he is from New Orleans and I am from Tupelo, Mississippi….so I was thinking Natchez, MS….but on June 22, I think it will be 100 degrees! I have always wanted to get married outside by an old oak tree with moss.
What is your advice??? Help!!!
Post # 3
I’m from the area, and I could honestly tell you that getting married outside, during that time of year (June 22) will be hell!!! Maybe you can try an evening wedding. Yes in Mississippi it will still be hot after the sun goes down, and it will certainly be muggy, but I just can’t see having your guests out there in that sun during the afternoon.
Post # 4
I think, too, it’ll come down to what you mind compromising the most… the oak tree/moss image (which I totally love BTW, not dissing it!) and having you AND your family (including your mother) there and comfortable. I always wanted to get married outside on a beautiful fall day, but I realize it might need to be indoors… and I started looking and barn weddings are starting to grow on me. Before you discount the June date completely, look at your options ! 🙂
Post # 5
Since you can’t change the weather, your only choices are to change the date, change the location, or change the venue.
If you’re dead-set on an outdoor ceremony, perhaps a destination wedding somewhere up north would be a good compromise, although that may be difficult on your mom to travel.
You could look at a less elaborate wedding which might help you get more flexibility in your date. A brunch wedding may be quite a bit cheaper, leaving you more budget to hire someone to do all the things that make it hard for you to choose other dates. Or a courthouse wedding with an indoor reception in the late evening on one of your two dates.
Post # 6
Not to sound awful and morbid, but it sounds like your mother is also a serioul consideration, and on top of June being very hot where you are and the Easter weekend being cooler, it is also sooner. Given your mother’s illness, do you think it would be beneficial to the situation to have it later (i.e. more recovery time) or sooner (as it more likely that she will be there for the ceremony)? I am so sorry if this has come across as insensitive, but as I said before it does sound like that is also a factor and sort of a more important factor than the weather, so I wanted to give some input with consideration to that. I am sorry that you are in a position of trying to plan your wedding and having to consider your mother’s heath as a factor 🙁 I think that if you look you will find that more venues than you think will be available over the Easter weekend. If you choose that time though I would just be sure to give your guests as much notice as possible (i.e. send out save the dates as soon as you can).
Post # 7
Thanks for your advice. FI is going to talk to medical school people about taking time off on a different date. Also, all the parents seem on board to move the wedding to the Smoky Mountains in Tennessee, if it takes place in June. Not sure what temp it is there at that time though. I will have to say goodbye to my beautiful moss-covered oak idea, but I guess that is not what matters anyway.
Post # 8
@jescaru: Gatlinburg Tennessee is very beautiful. There is a lot to do there also. That is where me and my FI will be honeymooning!. its BEAUTIFUL. and it would probably be a little cooler.
Post # 9
The Smoky Mountains would be BEAUTIFUL! Definitely stay away from the holiday dates. There’s nothing that irritates me more than weddings on holidays lol