(Closed) Wedding dresses & alterations?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1093 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: Private home

Depending on the store they can do the alterations in house, though there is ALWAYS an extra fee.  If you just need something simple, like a hem, it may be cheaper to take the dress to a local seamstress rather than the in store shop.  More complex alterations (altering the neckline, adjusting the corset back, putting in a bustle) should probably be left to the shop or a very trusted seamstress.  At David’s Bridal, putting in a hem can run upwards of 60$ and more if there are layers of netting or a lining to hem as well.  hope that helps and the dress is lovely!  Pics soon please!

Post # 4
216 posts
Helper bee

Sometimes it is difficult or expensive to have a dress altered at a different place than you bought it. I brought a dress purchased on the internet into David’s Bridal and they wouldn’t look at it. Everything to do with ‘wedding’ is a huge rip-off so certainly don’t expect any *free* alterations at the place where you buy your dress. You will probaby have to haggle to get the price down too. I got mine down from $250 to $175 which I still thought was ridicules! But a lot of places will have a cap–such as $500 for example!

Post # 5
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

yes there is almost always an additional fee – and the fee can be per service (one price for a hem, one for taking it in a bit, one for bustle) or it can be a blanket fee for any alteration (whether you need just hem and bustle or a complete overhall – all same price)

usually the store is wayyy more expensive than an independent seamstress.

case in point, the place i bought my dress has instore seamstresses. i got a bustle, hem and taking in of the bust a smidge. they were gonna charge me about $700.

i took it to one of the best independent seamstresses in DC, shes doing my bust, hips and thigh area, bustle, hem all for $200.

shop around and get references, but you dont have to just accept what they tell you.

Post # 6
6598 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2010

Most bridal stores do the alterations so ask them how much a hem and a bustle (don’t know what else you would need) will cost!

That way you can factor it in. You are allowed to take it elsewhere if you want to. But only go to a seamstress that you KNOW does good work on wedding gowns.

Good Luck and Congrats on finding the one!

Post # 7
990 posts
Busy bee

to have alterations where I bought my dress (House of Brides) it would cost $300 and thats not including putting in a bustle. Depending on the type of bustle you want, you could spend anywhere from $60 – $200.

Post # 8
852 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I would definitelyl get a quote from the store you purchase at, and then ask around for a trusted seamstress also.  A friend of mine from highschool gave me the name of a lady who does alterations out of her home, and her work came highly reccommended by others also, and she was a third of the price of the bridal stores.

AND…

while it may not be common, some stores do include alterations. I actually ended up getting my dress at a store that was about 45 minutes away, but worth the drive for me, as the store includes alterations (with no maximum) on any full price dress ordered from them.  so it is possible

Post # 9
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I got my dress at Pronovias..alternations/bustle were $500..

Post # 10
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

It varies a lot to get alterations done.  Because that gown has a lace-up back, it shouldn’t need a lot of alterations.  Any alterations should be very easy to do.  I went to a local drycleaner/seamstress and they charged me only $50.00 to hem and bustle a gown, and told my daughter that the bust couldn’t be taken in (well-maybe she didn’t feel comfortable doing it) so my daughter didn’t want to wear that gown, and picked another gown, and she wanted to take it into a seamstress who made wedding gowns and for a very simple alteration and hem without a bustle she wanted $300.00, so choose carefully!!!  We had circumstances beyond our control, but if we had more time I would have definitely have taken the 2nd gown to another local drycleaner seamstress, who would have been able to fix either of the gowns for much less money.  But because my daughter was already very leary of having it done, and we needed it done within a week, we luckily got both of our gowns done for the $300.00 which was WAY more than I would have paid otherwise. 

I think when you buy a gown and get alterations done there, they can basically charge anything they want, because they have the gown in their possession so to speak. 

Post # 11
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

oops, posted twice!

The topic ‘Wedding dresses & alterations?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors