Wedding gift ideas for around a $1,000 budget?

posted 2 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 2
1473 posts
Bumble bee

Do they have a registry?  I would buy items off that or give cash. 

Post # 3
1043 posts
Bumble bee

Dang, that’s a really big gift budget. 

Cash is always cool…our larger gifts came in cash form.

Post # 4
764 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

bluesparkles:  I always think watches are great unique gifts. But personally, I liked recieving the cash, or gift card. I was able to then spend the money on whatever we needed/wanted. 

Post # 5
5769 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

If the couple has a favorite sports team, a pair of box seats to a game would be great. But only if they both actually enjoy watching the games.

Your brother may want to reconsider his price range, though. Such generous gifts can often make people really uncomfortable.

Post # 7
1244 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

bluesparkles:  I feel like a couple hundred would be good as far as a cash gift.

Post # 8
3646 posts
Sugar bee

bluesparkles:  I’m of the opionion that if a large gift isn’t cash/check, then make sure it’s 150% what the couple want/need (like off their registry). Thoughtful and unique for him, might not be the same thing, for them; non-personalized and returnable is more useful than thoughtful/unique. I.e. splurging on 2-$500 a piece sports tickets, for their favorite team, may sound like fun, but if the couple truly needs a lot of household items, for their new life together, they could be seem pretty impractical.

Post # 9
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

We got several $1K gifts that were all cash and antique decanters and platter set which I’m sure were over that but we have no use for them really. So I’d say cash is best. 

Post # 10
745 posts
Busy bee

I’d agree — cash is best.

If not, and they’ve already booked the honeymoon, one thing he could do is look at the resort, and book them something there.

A couples massage, a romantic picnic for two, or something like that (assuming he knows him well enough to know what he’ll like).

Post # 11
2065 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

My husband was a best man and the groomsmen pitched in together to buy a really nice grill for the couple.  Pretty cool gift if the couple doesn’t already have one, and have a place to put one.  

Look at the registry and see if there is anything there.  I agree deifnitely make sure the couple really wants it.  We got a really nice custom crystal, that I’m sure cost the guest around a grand to have made in Europe.  While it is beautiful, we don’t have a china cabinet  or anywhere other than our kitchen table to display it.  Maybe down the road we will appreciate it more, but right now, while the gift was thoughtful, we would rather have the cash.  

Post # 12
2455 posts
Buzzing bee

bluesparkles:  I’d like cash but I’d be so worried about leaving $1K in cash in a card basket! Maybe get like a $500 gift card to the store where they’re registered?

Post # 13
118 posts
Blushing bee

playdohpants:  I think that’s a great idea, maybe do both since his budget is so big, get them the sports tickets as something unique and personal and then use the rest of his budget on a gift card to where they are registered.  That way they can get something off their registry that they wanted but didn’t receive but he still gets to be personal as well!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors