Wedding hair for $280?

posted 2 weeks ago in Beauty
  • poll: The cost for my bridal updo will be $280. Thoughts?
    This price is pretty standard and reasonable : (18 votes)
    26 %
    This price is insane - find a new hairdresser : (48 votes)
    70 %
    Other. My opinion is in the comments : (3 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 2
    46 posts
    Newbee

Mine cost 65 dollars plus tip. I skipped the trial and had a free 15 min consultation instead. It was a risk to not have a trial but I was confident in my hairdressers skills. 

Post # 3
    1599 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2017

bluecutie00 :  despite the poll (which I think is probably flawed as likely people are thinking $280 is just for the day of and not all of it) it’s pretty reasonable/normal pricing. $100 is not off the average for an updo…and a trial is typically as exepensive or almost as expensive as day of. 

Post # 4
    806 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2017

Oh, I thought it was $280 for just wedding day hair, which would be insane.

Broken down into the other services like you described, no. But honestly do you really need all of those services? I needed to tone down some brassiness in my brown hair, so about a month before the wedding I had some low lights, a trim, and a deep conditioning treatment. That all totalled about $180.

But it didnt seem like wedding hair because I spaced out and it was also something I needed regardless.

Post # 5
    35 posts
    Newbee

If it was $280 for each service, I would say yes, pretty expensive, but it sounds like it’s basically $100 for the service. 

The *cheapest* I could find for the ‘day of’ was $125 for hair in my area, even if it is just a ‘down do’ with loose curls. 

Post # 7
    2244 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

My hair cost $180 to dye alone before the hair up do! I think this sounds very reasonable 

Post # 8
    35 posts
    Newbee

Okay – that makes more sense. It is a big jump. Compare it to other places. Maybe it’s normal. I know when I learned how expensive hair/makeup was going to be, I was shocked, but found out that it’s ‘normal’.

Post # 11
    1301 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

I had my aunt do my hair for free, and it was beautiful. I’m so glad I didn’t pay to have someone do  my hair for me! If you do want to have a professional do your hair, I think $280 for the trial, day-of, and tip is about average, unfortunately.

Post # 12
    35 posts
    Newbee

bluecutie00 :  Not all do, but I suggest you do the trial the morning of a day where you want a lot of pics of you taken – like a date night, a night out with the girls, bridal shower, engagement pics, etc. My hair/makeup girl requires a trial (not all do) for all types of hair, but I booked my engagement pics for the same day. She encouraged that because she wanted me to see how the makeup and hair photographs. 

I think up-dos are more complicated and they just don’t want an unhappy bride on her wedding day. A hairstylists whole reputation relies on your happiness and if you don’t like anything, better that she can fix it during a trial than a few hours before your wedding

Post # 13
    2244 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

bluecutie00 :  I do live in Australia so prices may be more expensive here?

Post # 14
    2805 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

bluecutie00 :  What’s considered “reasonable” is going to depend so much on where you live. “Reasonable” in NYC would  be “insane” in Indiana.  FWIW the price does sound reasonable to me, and I don’t think it’s fair to consider the costs associated with the cut to be part of the updo costs. It sounds like you need the cut regardless.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors