Wedding hair for $280?

posted 2 weeks ago in Beauty
  • poll: The cost for my bridal updo will be $280. Thoughts?
    This price is pretty standard and reasonable : (18 votes)
    26 %
    This price is insane - find a new hairdresser : (48 votes)
    70 %
    Other. My opinion is in the comments : (3 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 16
    1300 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

bluecutie00 :  Could you pick an easy style that a friend/family member could do for you?

Post # 17
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

Sorry I voted before I read the breakdown.  $100 for the updo itself is not terrible, maybe a bit above average.  Mine was $65 but I shopped around a lot and was in a low cost of living area.  You might want to find someplace that doesn’t require you to do an trial if you want to cut down on costs.  I didn’t do a trial and mine turned out fine.  As long as they’re not completely off, you can ask they fix some things on the day if it’s not exactly what you expected.

Post # 18
    1150 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2017

Also just get your ends trimmed at supercuts or some other discount place.

Post # 19
    7870 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2013

mine was $40 for the trial – her usualy rate for any styling, and $75 for day of due to traveling to my venue.

i live in the suburbs of a major city.

Post # 20
    360 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2017

Mine was 75 for the trial, 135 for day of. This included make up too though. In total I paid over 400 for three bridesmaids, a flower girl, and myself. 

I don’t think 100 for an updo is a bad price. 

Post # 23
    1300 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2017 - The Lodge at Little Seneca Creek

Unless you’re okay with your hair not looking exactly like you imagined, you proably want to do a trial. I think the style you selected is gorgeous! Too bad you can’t have a family/friend do it for you. 🙁

Post # 24
    88 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: September 2017 - Gardens at Old Town Helotes

Just for comparison: 

I am paying $95 for hair and $95 for makeup.

Trial run for makeup & hair is $150.  

I say if you feel like it is a “splurge” but it will make you confident on your day… Do It! 

Post # 25
    419 posts
    Helper bee

Whoops I voted without reading. I thought you were asking if $280 for day of HAIR only is reasonable. But if it’s for everything listed in your first post then I don’t think that’s bad at all. 

I paid $150 for trial, $250 for engagement session, and $350 for day of for hair and makeup. I’m located in socal, so I’d say that’s a bargain! 

Post # 27
    194 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2018

Get your hair cut elsewhere.  I go to Cost Cutters and get my hair cut for less than $20.  My entire wedding party and I are getting our hair done for around $300, so I personally think that even with everything included that’s too much for me personally…but sadly is about average for the wedding industry.  Also, while I understand their request to do a trial, I don’t think that it’s necessary as long as they know ahead of time what you want  

Post # 30
    2622 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2017

That’s great! I would however recommend a trial. It wouldn’t be too expensive if the day-of price is only $55. I have long thick hair too and I thought I wanted an updo but I had two trials and hated them both because I just had way too much hair for it and the hairdressers didn’t know how to treat it. Also after a few hours with all that weight and pins on my head I was in agony! So you might wanna try it out first. 

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors