(Closed) Wedding Photography for $500…what’s the catch?

posted 8 years ago in Photos/Videos
  • poll: Would you risk your photos/privacy with a professional photographer who is new to weddings?
    Absolutely, especially if the price is right! : (23 votes)
    50 %
    No way, not even if it were offered for free! : (7 votes)
    15 %
    Post my photos online! The more to see the merrier. : (14 votes)
    30 %
    I'll pay extra for some privacy. : (2 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 3
    1254 posts
    Bumble bee

As long as you like his photographs, he is easy to work with and he is open to suggestions/ideas, I say take the deal!!

As for the privacy, I wouldn’t mind my pictures appearing on his website. I would take it as a compliment. 🙂

Post # 4
    7175 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

Have you met with him in person?  If you have and are confident with his abilities, etc. then I’d say it’s a great deal!  He’s obviously trying to work on his portfolio and reputation, etc.

re: website – I don’t care if my photos are posted on my photog’s website – but her contract had a clause saying she owned the rights to them all.  I didn’t want them to be used for random promotion, so I asked that it be limited to her website and blog.

Post # 5
    2634 posts
    Sugar bee

Sometimes you just have to take a gamble. If this is something your willing to do that with – go for it!

I mean, realistically everyone has to start SOMEWHERE.

Do you know if he’s been a second shooter on other weddings before? If he has then you’re probably fine, if not, then I’d get a tad worried.

Post # 6
    28 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: March 2011

Make sure he has a contract.  Also, make sure to see complete wedding or 2 that he’s done. Whatever you see on the website is not a true representation of his work, but you already know that, right?

If you love his work, go for it.

Do you have a website we can take a lookie?? Smile

Post # 7
    937 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I’m paying $200 for my photographer… as many edits as i want, all photos on a disk (unedited and edited).. and she is doing a CD as a slideshow with some of the photos so it can be displayed at the dinner that evening 🙂

Post # 8
    877 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

A lot of photographers post a selection of photos they take on their blog or in their portfoloio.  But they do it with written permission from the client.

If you’re concerned with his experience, it looks like your wedding is at the end of next year.  I bet he’ll be getting a lot more practice in by the time your wedding comes!

Post # 9
    214 posts
    Helper bee

Our photog is coming in at under $500. She charges $500 but we went to high school together. She has ALWAYS been amazing but just started doing it professionally in the last year, so it’s a portfolio building happening right now.

BUT, I will say, that that’s part of the reason these vendors charge SOOOO much is because we (in general) attach more value to higher priced items. We believe if it costs more, it must be better. 

I have another photog (FI’s cousin) who is ALSO new to photography, but charges $2K and people pay it. He’s good at what he does, but it’s not necessarily true that you have to spend a ton of money to get good pictures.

Post # 10
    2867 posts
    Sugar bee

I think you should go for it.  Meet him in person though!

Post # 11
    255 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2004

Definitely meet in person, make sure you click, and get a solid contract. Also, I’d ask about equipment, back-up equipment, insurance, how he backs up images, etc. There is nothing wrong with taking a chance on someone new (everyone starts somewhere!); but if someone’s new, that doesn’t mean she or he shouldn’t have safeguards in place to protect your images, and all the trimmings of an established business.

Also, I *always* urge couples to get albums (and try to find a way to work with them if cost is an issue). I’d ask him about albums (real flushmounts; not press-printed books that aren’t made to last) and what he can offer.

Good luck!

Post # 12
    4123 posts
    Honey bee

My very first wedding I got off CL for $500, however, my 2nd wedding was over $1000. So, really, at 3… it’s still justifiable, although I feel they may be low balling. If you like his work, that’s all you can ask for! The only thing I can see, is that for 6 hrs… 100 images is NOT much! I typically turn over around 500-800 for a 6 hr wedding depending on the style and flow of the day….

Post # 13
    581 posts
    Busy bee

I’ve learned a lot from this post–thanks for the question……and replies.

Post # 14
    1046 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

@2BeeBride: The first thing I would do would meet the photographer and person and ask to see complete sets of photos from the other weddings that he has shot. Anyone can get a good photo or two at an event, so it’s important to see whether they are consistently good. Also, some questions: are the 100 photos just 100 that are edited or is that 100 total? Because 100 pictures of your wedding is definitely not enough. We have over 300 from our e-session alone! Second, if you need more than 6 hours, how much extra will he charge? Third, will he give you references from his previous clients?

Post # 15
    Hostess
    18646 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2009

I agree with @sapphirebride you should ask to see an entire wedding.  The pictures on the website are the best of the best and you need to see what the worst of a wedding looks like.  They could be completely horrible and the ones on the site are just luck.

The topic ‘Wedding Photography for $500…what’s the catch?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors