(Closed) Wedding Scriptures & Readings

posted 10 years ago in New York City
Post # 3
388 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2018

Can’t help on the scripture part, but for the other reading, we had our officiant recite the following passage from Paul Newman’s wedding to Joanne Woodward 50 years ago. 

The crowd was bawling by the end of it.  I love the last graph… 

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens. A good marriage must be created. In the Art of Marriage: The little things are the big things. It is never being too old to hold hands. It is remembering to say ‘I love you’ at least once a day. It is never going to sleep angry.

It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years. It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives. It is standing together facing the world. It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.

It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy. It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways. It is not expecting the husband to wear a halo or the wife to have wings of an angel.

It is not looking for perfection in each other. It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humor. It is having the capacity to forgive and forget. It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow. It is finding room for the things of the spirit. It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.

It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal. It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

Post # 4
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2008

We used Proverbs 31:10-12 which reads:

<p style=”margin: 0in 0in 0pt” class=”MsoNormal”><font face=”Times New Roman” size=”3″>“A wife of noble character, who can find?  She is worth far more than rubies.</font><p style=”margin: 0in 0in 0pt” class=”MsoNormal”><font face=”Times New Roman” size=”3″>Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.</font><p style=”margin: 0in 0in 0pt” class=”MsoNormal”><font face=”Times New Roman” size=”3″>She brings him good, not harm all the days of her life.”</font>

The second scripture was Ephesians 5:25-31:

<p style=”margin: 0in 0in 0pt” class=”MsoNormal”><font face=”Times New Roman” size=”3″>“Husbands love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave himself up for her, so that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the Word that he might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife, loves himself; for no one ever hated his own body, but nourishes it and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, because we are members of His body. For this reason, a man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”</font>

Post # 6
57 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

I am having a traditional Catholic wedding and we are using the Song of Solomon "place me like a seal on your arm" reading (I can’t remember the scriptural reference, sorry).  For the new testament reading we are having 1 Corinthians "Love is patient, love is kind" (again the exact scripture escapes me – We are out of the country right now and only have my FI’s computer). 

The first reading may not be your thing, but there is seriously limited choice from the old testament in Catholic weddings… we’re hoping that it will lighten the mood a bit.

Post # 7
46 posts
Newbee

Hi!  =) 

The first scripture (Set me as a seal…): Song of Solomon 8:6

The second scripture (Love is patient…): 1 Corinthians 13:4

I’m having a scripture and a poem read, but I’m not sure what order they should be in the ceremony.  I’m pretty sure the scripture will be read before the sermon, but I have no idea when the poem should be read.  Any advice?  

Post # 8
59 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

We are doing an Anglican/Episcopal service w/ communion, so 3 readings:

Old Testament: probably either Song of Solomon 8 OR maybe something from Deuteronomy ("Teach these commandments to your children…")

New Testament: Romans 12:9-13 (or maybe to 18)

Gospel: John 2:1-11–Jesus turns water into wine at the wedding at Cana (I’m most excited about this one!)

We were intentionally looking for slightly "different" ones (except the one from Song of Solomon), so maybe they will help!

Post # 9
375 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

The Knot has a great book called Ceremonies and Traditions with a variety of readings and ideas. You might check there:)

Post # 11
200 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2008

Don’t know if you got everything you needed, but we used Song of Solomon 5:16 as the header on our invitations: " This is my lover, this is my friend." Also, Song of Solomon 8:6-7(Place me like a seal over your heart…..). Gen 2:18-24(And the Lord God said, "It is not good for man to live alone. I will make a help mate for him…..")

There is also another scripture that says "I have found the one whom my soul loveth. I held him and would not let him go…" I think it might be in Song of Solomon but I can’t remember. Rest your brain, it’s going to be okay!

Post # 12
1205 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I was reviewing this post for scripture readings as well and want to provide the source for the last one mentioned. It’s Song of Solomon 3:4

Post # 13
123 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

We had an Episcopal ceremony with communion.  We did an Epistle and a Gospel Reading:

First Reading: Colossians 3:12-17

As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him

Second Reading: Matthew 22:35-40

One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question:  "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”  Jesus replied: "’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: `Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."  

Not your traditional wedding readings, but very much about the importance of love.  They were perfect for us.

Post # 15
17 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: June 1992

First of all, I love both Paul & Joanne as actors and humanitarians, but they did not have this read at their wedding. I have many couples use this in their weddings. The Art of Marriage comes from a West Michigan writer and first appeared in print in a book (the condensed version, not this), in 1961. Paul and Joanne were already married in 1958.

The topic ‘Wedding Scriptures & Readings’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors