(Closed) Wedding service, “as long as we both shall live?” & statement of purpose

posted 7 years ago in Ceremony
Post # 3
4336 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

The grammar of “for as long as we both shall live” means that once ONE of you is dead, the other is free from the committment (of loving? Which is all that the previous sentence says. But you can still love someone who is dead, even if you are married to someone else!) because you “both” are no longer living!

When I first read your post, I thought that you were thinking of leaving that line out because you didn’t WANT to be obligated to be married while you were both living!

ok, wait, I just typed all that out and thought about it, and realized that’s not even what you were asking! (ok, I’m leaving it.) Anyhow, I think it sounds fine, it’s almost like a nice poetic ending, cuz everyone is familiar with the “for as long as we both shall live” phrase.

Post # 5
41 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I’m with you on this.  I don’t like the “as long as we both shall live.”  It feels stiff and clunky after your amazingly personal vows.  How about: “I will love you… until the stars burn cold” or “…until my last breath” 

But honestly, “I will love you always” sounds perfect.

The topic ‘Wedding service, “as long as we both shall live?” & statement of purpose’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors