- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2012
It’s my first time posting on a site like this so I‘m hoping for some good responses… Thanks in advance for your help!
My fiance and I are in our late and mid 20’s, respectively. I just graduated with my second bachelor’s degree and I am pursuing medical school. I would like to start next year if I am accepted, but because of our situation, I’m not sure if that’s feasible. My fiance is still in undergrad because he had some personal issues that caused him to have to stop school for a while and now he’s re-enrolled. He is working two part-time jobs to be able to pay for rent and other expenses- and because he doesn’t have a degree it is proving very difficult for him to find a substantial job paying much more than minimum wage. The good thing is that he does have a lot of experience in the field he will eventually have a career in- but because of this, he doesn’t want to get a job doing something random like fast-food. He can only take a few classes at a time, because he’s paying out-of-pocket and cannot get any federal loans.
So here’s the dilemma:We are supposed to be getting married the end of this year, pending that we both have enough income to be stable. The original plan was for us to get married, then for him to finish school first before I start med school, but we’re not sure how long that will take- it could be another 2.5 years! We’ve already been together over 6.5 years and have just been waiting to get married because of money and other legit personal struggles. We’ve been engaged for 8 months and neither one of us wants to wait too much longer, so I’m wondering if it is at all possible to live on my med school loans while he continues to work part-time… or is it common for schools to allow the option of deferring med school acceptance for reasons like this? I am not accepted yet, but I’m trying to think ahead before beginning my application tomorrow. Do we have any option other than just waiting another x number of years for him to finish school?
I have already heard the suggestion of having a civil ceremony and a full wedding at another time and we really don’t want to do that, if possible. Also, we don’t live together and won’t until after we are married. Any advice about our situation is much appreciated!