Post # 1
5:00am we were woken up by an alarm. It wasn’t our alarm clocks or my phone. It was our carbon monoxide alarm. It has never gone off in the three years that I have been here. I mean, it went off once, but it was a green light to change the battery. I just changed it again last month, so it was scary to see the red light blinking saying “MOVE TO FRESH AIR!”
So I open up all the windows in the house. We have a lot of them. 36 to be exact and thank goodness it was near 50 this morning. Mr. Tattoo had to go sit outside for a little bit. I ran downstairs to check on my neighbors, but their monitor wasn’t going off. She brought hers upstairs and it wasn’t going off. One of us has a broken monitor or by the time she got upstairs, the carbon monoxide was gone.
So we called the fire dept anyway and they are at my house right now. I couldn’t stay because I had to get in to work.
I just can’t believe it went off. I’m so freaked out now. So, if any of you don’t have one, get one today. Like right now.
Post # 3
Thank God you had one!! There have been several deaths in this area due to that.
Get a Carbon Minoxide Alarm everybody!
Post # 4
Whoooa, that’s so scary! I’m glad you have an alarm and that you guys are okay!
Post # 5
Good thing you had one!!!!
That happened to me once when I was young and I lived in a little basement suite! haha I was standing on a chair by my only little kitchen window trying to breathe in fresh air, on the phone with my dad screaming “DAD WHAT DO I DO THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFOREEEEE!!!!!”
He obviously told me to get out and call the fire department! Luckily everything was a-ok!
Post # 6
Yeah, it’s something so simple that you don’t even think about.
Post # 7
omg. The maitainence guy just came in to replace ours. how weird.
Post # 8
We had carbon monoxide poisoning in our home when I was a teenager. It was pretty scary. Since then, we’ve always had a detector in our house andd we have one in our apartment, even though there’s no way for CO2 to get in our apartment.
Post # 9
That is very very scary!!! Im glad you guys are okay!
Post # 10
Thank god you have a detector. We have 2 as well and they have gone off, it’s scary.
A friend of mine had one and thank god she did b/c carbon monoxide was in her basement and by the time the fire dept got there had they been inside they would have been dead. Those detectors truly are a life saver and I hope everyone gets one or more!
Post # 11
Oh no! I’m going to book it to the store and pick one up, I really don’t want to die in my sleep!
Post # 12
One of my cousin in law’s friends -all of 16- died in her sleep during a sleepover because of lack of a carbon monoxide detector. It’s horribly tragic.
There is now a law in NY State that was recently passed in legislation and now adopted by the NY State Code that it is mandatory for all homes to have a carbon monoxide detector.
It’s sad that it takes a death for people to pay attention.
Post # 13
Thank goodness you two have the detector!!! Carbon monoxide has been all over the news the past few days. Do you have a gas stove or heater? if you do you should get those checked just to be safe.
Post # 14
@Mrs.LetsGoPens: We have a gas furnace. We live in an old Victorian house that’s split into two units. I just can’t believe it went off.
Post # 15
@Treasure43: how come no CO2 can get in?
Post # 16
@brisebride: We have no gas appliances, fireplaces, or garages.