- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2011
Hi!!! I am so excited to say that we did it!!! We are so happy and I am still on cloud 9.
I’d love to say that our day went perfect, and for the most part it did, but there were a few speed bumps along the way. First, the good:
- All the girls looked so great–their hair, the dresses–everything looked SO GOOD together! I had such a classy and hot bridal party!!
- The weather reports were all over the place–first it was supposed to be 73 and sunny, then a few days before the wedding they said it would be cold and rainy all day. I was so upset but tried to just wait it out. Well, the day of the wedding was mid-70s and sunny and turned out beautiful!!
- Even though I cried for most of the ceremony it was still beautiful. I tried to hold it in but my emotions just took over. I don’t care, though, it was a true reaction to how emotional I was and it was beautiful–too bad I made the whole church cry, though! Oh, and he shed a few tears, too 🙂
- The limo ride to our photos was one of my favorite parts–everyone was singing and drinking. We have so many fun pictures and videos and it was so nice to see all of our friends from different parts of our lives get along so well!
- My sister’s boyfriend’s sister did all of our flowers and they turned out BEAUTIFUL! She did the bouquets, bouttonieres, centerpieces–just about all of it and it looked better than what most florists could have done.
- The reception went well, despite some issues we had with the hall director. The food was great, the music was a hit, and everyone danced–that’s all I wanted for my wedding and we got it!
- We had a photo booth that FI/Hubs made. It went off SO WELL–I HIGHLY recommend a photo booth if you are considering one, it is so memorable for your guests. Our guests are STILL raving about it!
- The cake that my sister made was delicious and beautiful, despite a fall that it took earlier 🙂
- We were so happy to be married that nothing else could have ruined our day!!!
And now for the not-so-good:
- My hair/makeup artist did not show up. Period. I thought she was just running late but she just never showed. It was supposed to be her and my friend who did hair that day but my friend had to pretty much take over. I called in another friend who does hair (and woke her up in the process) and she raced over. Thankfully they were able to get all of us done just in time. The salon was NOT NICE about it all, either, and tried to ruin my honeymoon with a nasty facebook message (yeah, real mature). I will be posting about their complete and utter rudeness in the way they treated me in a future post.
- The director of the hall had been horrible to us from the get-go. We got a bad impression of him from the first phone call and didn’t want to even check out the place. The funny thing is, it is not just us he treated this way, it seems like he acts this way to every wedding, now that we have talked to others who have used their hall. My dad checked it out on his own and liked it (and the price tag) so he had us check it out and convinced us to go there. The hall is so outdated in its style–everything is burgundy and looks stuck in the 80s. The hall director is an @$$. He would tell us times we could come by to decorate then act frustrated when we got there, like we were taking up time in his day. He didn’t want to give us a tasting and told us that “You don’t go to O’Charley’s and ask to taste the menu, why would you do it here?” Well, I don’t normally pay for 300 people to eat dinner without trying it first! He had double booked our hall, everything was a mess, they are really disorganized… the list goes on. He always answered the phone in an exasperated voice. When we were decorating the hall he literally yelled at us to get out and was not apologetic. He was supposed to call us to let us know how much it would cost to get the beer we like at the bar and he never even called us. Thankfully on the night of the wedding I didn’t see him once and everything turned out alright but I will never recommend anyone to this hall.
- The limo driver didn’t want to take us, the bride and groom, to the reception. He was going to leave us 30 minutes away by ourselves. The photographer wanted to get a few photos of the 2 of us in one more spot while the wedding party got into the limo. They all had to go to the bathroom so they decided to stop by a restaurant that was really close by, and when they were done they would pick us up at the same spot. It would have taken 5-10 minutes total. Well, the limo driver (he was really old and probably just didn’t understand them) thought we wanted him to drop them all off at the hall, then come all the way back and pick the 2 of us up and take us to the hall after that. WHAT?! So he was refusing to pick us up. Thankfully our photographer was still with us–she called him and they figured it out. He did pick us up, thank goodness, and was pretty nice to us after that!
- My sisters dropped off the cake that my one sister had spent all week making, but while driving it over one of the layers fell off and got a little messed up. She was just going to put one layer out but after we sent another bridesmaid over to the hall armed with some icing they fixed up the cake, put some flowers over the bad parts, and it looked awesome!!! You would have had no idea what happened unless someone told you!
- My dad tripped over some wires when he went up to give his speech and spilled his drink all over the DJ table. He was embarassed and the DJ was probably not too happy but he got it all straightened out and the show went on. He was very professional about it and my dad was fine.
There were a few other things, great and not so great, but overall we had an amazing day and none of these things bothered us. Everyone looked wonderful and had an excellent time. It just goes to show that no wedding is ever perfect in execution but you can still have a great time regardless of it. Nothing could have put a damper on our day, as nothing will ever put a damper on our lives. We love each other so much and are so happy to finally be married!!!!
ETA: Here is a photo–my first on the Bee!!!