What are your financial goals for 2014?

posted 3 years ago in Money
Post # 3
3199 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

1) pay off all our debts except student loans (this includes about $300 on my credit card and about $1500 on DH’s)

2) put away 6 months’ worth of paychecks into savings

3) pay off undergrad student loans (I only have about $1500 left)

4) start saving for a house, have a sizeable downpayment by the end of the year)

It seems like a lot, but with our tax return we’re going to knock out #1.

Post # 4
2675 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014 - Madison, WI

My car should be paid off right before our wedding!! Yay!!

Then my goals are to pay down some credit card debt I have and then jointly after the wedding FI and I plan to start saving for a down payment on a house/condo.

FI plans to have his student loans paid off sometime next year too, so I feel like we’re headed in the right direction.

Post # 5
265 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

@LadyBlackheart:  Mine is to first find a new job so that we don’t have to live paycheck to paycheck with FI’s pay covering for what I can’t afford. Then we plan on saving an emergency fund and some for the wedding. We are also receiving money from one of FI’s deceased relatives that we are going to be buying a house at the end of 2014 with. My lease is up in 2014 so one of my goals is to find a more affordable car.

Post # 6
9204 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2018

1) Pay off ‘debts’ – money I owe my fiance, and money I owe into my own savings account – money I spent I was not supposed to (I didn’t overdraw): total of about $5k (this does not include student loans – not paying those off yet)

2) Start saving again for moving out + emergency fund

3) Get good saving habits

4) Spend wisely

5) Spread out present purchases more so it’s not one big hit at the end of the year for Christmas

6) Budget!!

Oh and to do all of this I want to get a job ASAP 🙂

Post # 7
1802 posts
Buzzing bee

-pay off SO and I’s CC debt (~$3,000)

-start saving for emergency fund/home down payment

-eat out less haha

-create a better grocery budget and stick to it

Post # 8
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Save for the wedding and pay off my credit card debt (which isn’t much). FI is in school right now, so it’s hard to save a lot. 

Post # 9
1581 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

Be debt free by 2015. If we can do that, I’ll be happy.

Post # 10
10453 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2011

Get a job

Put money into TFSA to slowly max it out again (I need to get more specific on this)

Start an RRSP or get DH to contribute to a spousal RRSP for me depending on my job

Get a better long-term investment plan in place, things were set up for more short term goals the last few years.  Maybe invest in ETFs.

Post # 11
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

If there’s one thing wedding planning has taught me, its how much money I can save when I want/need to. So I have upped my goals for next year:

-pay off all credit card debt (about 3k)

-up my monthly contribution to my retirement fund

-between FI and I, save at least 15k for a down payment to buy another house

Post # 12
307 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

1. Decide how much house we want to afford.

2. Figure out our budget. We basically just mashed together our individual budgets and then revise occassionally but it isn’t working that well. 

3. Join our accounts. We share expenses, but our money isn’t merged beyond a joint savings. (I pay mortgage, he pays everything else).

4. Have a good investment portfolio in our retirement accounts (we met with my uncle who is a financial planner when he was visiting)

Post # 13
2419 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

Pay off as much credit card debt as I can (~$6k), make some progress saving for a house and try and get ahead on my student loans.

Post # 14
8847 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

Pay off our credit cards asap (~$3k), put $5k0 in each of our Roth IRAs before tax day, and then try to live off one salary while putting the rest in savings / investments. 

Post # 15
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

Buy a house! And pay off my very last student loan.

Post # 16
473 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

1) Pay off my credit card debt – ~$3k

2) Pay off my car loan – ~$7k left

3) Pay off one of my student loans – ~$9k left

I just told FI the other day that as soon as our wedding is over I’m going to be extremely diligent about getting these 3 things paid off in 2014 to early 2015 as we want to start TTC in Spring 2015 and I know that extra money will be really nice to have. Luckily FI is a GREAT saver and he has somewhat set up a forced savings for me using the rent money I pay (he owns his own home and I just pay him once a month rather than divide all our bills). I’ve just found that beyond what I pay him, I have saved NOTHING this year due to wedding expenses and as excited as I am and know it’ll be worth it, I can’t wait to put that income to knock out those bills!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors