Post # 1
I’ve done a fair amount of net-scouring, and I’ve found some amazing bargains/freebies. For example:
– Free hair & makeup for me, the bridal party and FMIL (friend finished makeup/hair school and offered)
– Free DJ (father’s ex-girlfriend’s father)
– Free ceremony/reception venues (park down the road for ceremony and our home is the reception venue)
– Free photography (friend is a photography student)
– Free videography (friend is borrowing his dad’s camera)
– Cheap dress (it does need to be altered)
What about you, what bargains/freebies have you found?
Post # 3
– free cake
– free video & photo booth
– free wedding dress
– homemade invites really cost effective
– free printing
– loads of DIY to keep cost down.
-no fancy transport just taxis
– bm dresses & gm cravats & waistcoats in the sale.
Post # 4
@Soon2BD-CBee: Ooh I forgot to mention free cupcakes too. Really takes the stress out of planning, doesn’t it?
Post # 5
@tiffanyscanlan: yep it really does. I’m so thankful to my friends & family for gifting us with so much already.
Post # 6
- Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY
- free make up from a former MUA cousin
- dress was only $720!
- Bought white hydrangeas in bulk for $4 instead of pink ones for $20 each!
- DIYed my invites (not entirely sure how much I saved there lol though
- friday wedding- some discounts from vendors
- no e-session (sister did it)
- shoes, veil, some gifts for BMs from eBay and etsy
- no breakfast after the wedding
But the biggest thing was….saying “My budget is ____. What can you provide for that amount?” Then I wasn’t insulting anyone and getting services I didn’t need.
Post # 7
– Dress was $550
– Suit was $180, got it on sale
– FI’s ring was $25!! Tungsten! Priced over $300 at the jewelry store.
– My ring was $150, priced over $300 at the jewelry store. I found it on Amazon for cheaper, same exact thing!
Overall – we saved about $550 in cost of rings!! We found amazing deals over the weekend!
Post # 8
- Wedding: October 2013 - A Beautiful converted Barn
£1 veil – 108″ ribbon edged soft tulle veil. eBay MEGA bargain! just gotta add a comb to it!
£50 BM dresses – thankyou eBay again!
DIY ring pillow – free
over £2000 saved on our WRs – using an independent jewellery maker
Post # 9
Most of our wedding party is guys and with an outdoor summer wedding I didn’t want them melting in suits all day. I found a vest on pintrest that I really liked, but was unable to trace it back to it’s origin. My plan was to get a local tailor to replicate it. I was dinking around on the computer this weekend and found the exact vest for $33 on Amazon! So that makes life easier and it’s cheaper than I expected 🙂
Post # 10
Instead of buying a $60 sash from Etsy, I found the same exact applique from http://www.gloryshouse.com for $15
Post # 11
We’ve done pretty good with sales:
– My ring was orignially $3,900 but got on sale for $1,100 and my wedding band is “free” (promise ring)
– FI’s band was on sale for $150
– Got my dress at a sample sale for $400
– Free cake (Aunt is baker)
– Big discount on honeymoon
– Only $200 for venue w/ all linens, tables, chairs, set up, etc
– Only $20 a person for prime rib & chicken buffett and $14 for premium open bar
– DJ, champagne, chair covers & cake cutting included with venue package
– Aunt is making FG and RB outfits, possible BM dresses
– Groupons to get 200 magnet STDS w/ custom stickers and envelopes for $60
– Free centerpieces from family collecting mason jars
– Free bridesmaid gifts
Post # 12
– cousin is doing cupcakes for the cost of materials (we got 100 cupcakes for $65, and she’s delivering them to the venue/setting them up)
– centerpiece stuff was either free, from the dollar store, and/or printed off/done with paint; each table is about $8 to decorate (not including the leftover flowers we have or the paint we used)
– decor was mostly stuff I designed and printed off and put in frames from the dollar store
– favors were made my by grandma
– DIY invitation suite, printed through Vistaprint with Groupons
– Friday wedding, which meant that the minumum for our venue was much lower than Saturday’s, and because I got prices that didn’t have dates on them, I talked them into giving us the 2012 minimum.
– got a code for a free photo guestbook from Shutterfly; wanted guests to use metallic Sharpies, found 2-packs of them at the dollar store
– friend is letting us borrow his sound equipment for the ceremony, MOH’s fiance is running the music for us (and setting up the ceremony)
Post # 13
-“Free” photography…(trading services for a new website designed by FI)
-DJ/MC-$300, family friend
-5 tier cake with fondant and 4 flavors- $300…family friend of FI
-Dress and veil-$400…needs minor alterations
-Bridal shoes-$7…I wanted black satin, Payless had the perfect ones on clearance!
-FI’s wedding band $10. He picked one out on Amazon, got $30 off for applying for an Amazon card.
-Officiant, Free!! Well, it will cost us a bottle of Jack Daniels. LOL FI’s best friend, has been ordained for a long time.
-Free Hair/make-up…friend is a MUA at Ulta, and also does hair.
-Our caterer is only charging us the cost of the food. She also manages a restaurant and is ordering all of our beer/wine through wholesale from the restaurant’s supplier.
-FI and I DIYed our pocketfold invites for less than $50 for 100.
Post # 14
Yikes I just realised we haven’t gotten our rings yet. Once we get our tax back, it’s to the jewellers we go!
Post # 15
– free ceremony venue (WW2 era ship. In fact, FI will make money, as we got it by being a member of the organization that maintains it, which is tax deductible)
– reception venue $50 (can start set up the night before, and don’t need to have it torn down until 11 am the day after)
– uplighting, water effect lighting, lighted back drop, sound system and professional DJ for free (won a contest via facebook. Package is worth $1400)
– Flowers: my bouquet, MOH bouquet, corsages for mothers, boutineers for the groom and BM, as well as 2 clutch bouquets we will present our mothers during the ceremony for $320. My florist is probably the best in the city, and literally flies all over North America to do weddings. I know him through work and and he is a complete sweetheart. He knows we’ve had a tough year so he’s going above and beyond to help me out.
– transportation for family from ceremony venue to reception venue — free on some of our friends’ boats
That said, what we saved on these things we splurged on other things (wedding bands, dress, photography, invitations, food and booze) so it will all even out in the end.
Post # 16
@rickhurst35: hey!!! How did you get FIs ring for only 25$??
mine is also wanting a Tungsten!!
pls let me know!!