(Closed) What color should MOB & FMIL wear?

posted 7 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
13102 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Any color that they want that isn’t white/cream/ivory/etc or black.  They shouldn’t really match the bridesmaids, IMO, but outside of that, let them pick whatever color they’re comfortable wearing.

Oh – and typically the MOB picks her color / dress formality first then the FMIL picks a different color and similar formality.

EDIT: As an FYI, my BMs are wearing red, my mom is in a soft yellow, and FI’s mom is in a deep purple.

Post # 4
1403 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

My mom and FI’s mom are wearing their own colors, and not picked to match the BM’s at all.  Our BM’s will be in navy blue, my mom will be in chocolate, and FI’s mom in soft pink.

If you want your mothers to match your BM’s though, you might want to go with whatever your accent color is.  (Do you have a third color you’re using in any of your decor?)

Post # 5
277 posts
Helper bee

Totally agree with FutureKMM.

My mother called me one afternoon and asked me if she could buy an ivory dress that she fell in love with. I told her that if she thought she couldn’t find something else, I wouldn’t be a brat about it but that it would probably look a little weird in pictures since I’m as pale as Casper, and she’s not much darker. She ended up buying a dress in my bridesmaids’ color two days later. I guess I couldn’t win, but it’s better than ivory right?

Post # 6
2226 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Ours went neutral.  My colors were pink and green.  My mom wore champagne and MIL wore a dark silver.

Post # 8
304 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I told them to wear whatever they want. Something comfortable and that they would wear again. My mother ALWAYS wears navy blue… so I went shopping with her and just went gaga over anything she showed me in a different color… hahaha.

Here’s what they ended up with for my DW. ((All my bridesmaids wore a bright bright pink ))

Post # 9
13102 posts
Honey Beekeeper

@MrsJVP: Both mothers can still be in something dark that isn’t black and don’t match each other.  Just tell them nicely that you’d prefer that they not match the bridesmaids – that isn’t an unreasonable request.

They can look at deep purples, forest greens, a pretty deep blue, burgandy, pewter gray …. there are all sorts of dark colors that aren’t black.

Post # 10
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I think that if they both want darker outfits to suggest a jewel tone – emerald green, sapphire blue, amethyst purple, even a dark gold or gunmetal silver.  

I wouldn’t want my mother of FMIL to match the BM’s either.   

Post # 11
13102 posts
Honey Beekeeper

Just to give you a mental picture of what some other dark colors would look like with the black bridesmaids dresses.  It could look really pretty with both moms in a different dark color!
[attachment=1068636,133157]

The topic ‘What color should MOB & FMIL wear?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors