Post # 1
Let’s be honest with ourselves for a moment. There are too many posts about asking bridesmaids/MOH to step down because they weren’t excited enough about your wedding or they weren’t the happy slave you thought they would be. So, what do you really expect of them?
- When I choose my bridesmaids, I hope we can all get together and talk about a budget. I do not want to control the dress choice/price. I hate when brides pick out a $300 dress that’s ugly and that there is no way in hell I would ever wear again.
- After we discuss budget and what everyone is happy to spend, I will ask them about the styles. I will state length and color, but they can send me thousands of photos if they want.
- I won’t expect them to hold my hand until my wedding night. I won’t be upset if someone misses an event because of their life.
- I will not kick a bridesmaid out because she got pregnant.
- I don’t expect them to plan this super crazy bach. party in Las Vegas and I won’t end my friendship over a night at a bar.
- I won’t expect them to get the same hair and makeup done. I’m not all about the uniform look.
- I won’t annoy them with monthly bridesmaids newsletters for 18 months. (Maybe I will start them at the six month mark ^_^ )
- I will not make them find their own way to the ceremony/reception and then be pissed when they end up late or lost.
- I won’t ask them to be the bad guy to vendors. I’m a big girl. I can handle it myself. (well except for on the day but then DOC can handle it.)
That’s all I can think of right now. This is my promise to my bridesmaids.
I guess what I expect of them:
- Order the dresses in a timely manner. I don’t expect them to be ordered a year out though.
- come to the rehearsal.
- Keep me level headed on the days leading up. I expect one of them to smack sense into me if I start going bridezilla.
- Tell me any problems they have upfront or if anything comes up. (money, family, work, life) I’d rather a bridesmaid tell me that she can’t afford the dress upfront so we can work something out.
Post # 3
Well sounds like my promises. I really didn’t expect anything from them. I just asked and that was it. We actually went for dresses and they picked them out. They were $135 at DB. My MOH (sis) ended up pregnant and I was just excited that DB let her exchange it for a bigger size 🙂 One threw me the shower and bachlorette and the other one didn’t contribute at all (it only made me upset, because the one with the money didn’t help or show which I thought was a little nasty).
Overall it’s been alright, but there has still been drama and I think anytime women are involved there will be.
Post # 4
I expect them to show up 🙂 At the wedding I mean. And lend me some emotional support if I go a little crazy.
Post # 5
Haha good post… Except you didn’t really write what you would expect of them… You kinda did the opposite!
I expect them to:
– Buy a dress of the length and color I choose by a certain date (TBD)
– Come to the rehearsal so we all know what the hell is going on for the day of
– Get their hair done, I don’t care who does it, but I do expect them to get their hair done
– Show up on time the day of the wedding (for photos, etc) and support me!
That’s it really… Sure there are things I would love for them to do, but I don’t really expect it of them (i.e. showing up to my bachelorette party) and would never kick them out of my wedding party unless they couldn’t handle any of the above things.
I *think* I’m pretty easy going!!
Post # 6
Honestly…not much. I am a micro-manager so I already know that I am going to try to do everything myself anyway =)
- I want them to buy the dress and make sure it fits properly. I am picking the dress but I will listen to their input. They will be cheaply priced and HOPEFULLY something they will wear again.
- I would like for them to go to a dress shop or two with me b/c I am thinking about a different dress (it has to be soon though b/c April is fast approaching)
- I want them to show up on time and ready to roll for the rehearsal and the wedding
That’s the extent of my list. I only have 2 BMs though FIs sister and my little sister and one jr BM…my daughter (after much begging and pleading on her part). I actually plan to take THEM out instead of having a bachelorette party. I don’t care about a bridal shower b/c I have plenty stuff already. As far as kicking them out….it’s not an option b/c FI has only ONE sibling and that’s his sister. As for me…I planned my little sister’s wedding and was her MOH as well….if our relationship survived that…my wedding shoud be a piece of cake…LOL
Post # 7
–Buy the dress– I ended up choosing it because I decided on gray and many of the stores with a variety of style options didn’t have a gray that I liked. The dresses were about $170 after tax so I paid the amount over $150 for each of my ladies. I bought them jewelry (not their gift) and they could wear any silver shoes that they wanted.
–Show up at the wedding– we all met at my parents’ house beforehand so that everyone could get their hair done (I paid for this). I fed everyone too 🙂 I would have been fine if someone decided to join us at the chapel though.
–Help my parents after the reception– we had a few things to gather up at the end of the night so I asked the bridesmaids/groomsmen to just see that my parents were not left trying to pick up all of our extras. The restaurant where we had our reception did all of the actual clean up though.
Post # 8
– Buy the dress I select (done) and accesorize however they please. I did ask for silver sandals of some kind.
– Read my emails with crazy wedding ideas once in awhile. I’d say I send something I’m super excited about once a month.
– Attend the Rehearsal Dinner
– Get ready with me at the hotel
– I’m prob going to change my voicemail so guests know to call the Bms with wedding day questions
I don’t care if they attend/plan my bachelorette/shower, stay at our hotel, help me with DIY items, get professional hair/makeup.
Post # 9
I expect them to:
-Want to be in my wedding (if they didn’t want to do it, I would have been perfectly fine with it!)
-Buy their dresses–but I let them all choose their own style 🙂 I don’t want my girls thinking that all they are good for is looking like clones in pretty dresses. They are not accessories to my wedding, they are my best friends and I want their uniqueness reflected in their styles!
-Try to go to my engagement party, bridal shower, and bach. party. If they can’t make it, it’s ok. But I will try my hardest to plan the dates around their schedules, so I really hope they can all come 🙂
-It is up to them how they want to do their hair, makeup, jewelry, and shoes. All I asked was that their shoes be white and that they look and feel beautiful 🙂
-If they want to help with anything, I am more than happy to have them help. Other than that, I am just glad they want to stand with me on my wedding day!
Post # 10
-Tell me if they hate the dresses I chose (I picked 4 and let them choose which one they wanted)
-Order dress on time
-Show up at rehearsal and wedding
-Make sure I have champange in my glass at rehearsal dinner and wedding
That’s it. Anything else is extra.
Post # 11
-Buy a dress of the length, color, and (possibly) style of my choice – after I’ve listened to their thoughts on style and price – by the predetermined date.
-If at all possible, it would be really cool if they could go bridesmaid dress shopping with me so we can all see what looks great on them. If one of them can’t make it (and I plan to have a few days when we go, likely with different girls each time), I expect her to hold her tongue about how much she hates the dress that was chosen in her absence.
-I expect her to be happy for me. She doesn’t have to be uber-excited about the wedding or even talk about it at all, but I want to know that she’s excited that I’ve found the man of my dreams and that I plan to marry him. She can accomplish this with a simple smile and “Congratulations!” Any more than that is just icing.
-I expect her to be on time to the rehearsal dinner and to the wedding setup the next day.
-I expect her to look groomed and dressed up for the wedding. I will likely have a pro hair stylist (and maybe makeup artist) available; whether or not she uses their services is up to her. Plenty of girls can make themselves look gorgeous on their own.
-I expect her to have a great time at my reception with all the good food, alcohol, and friends!
All the extras would be great, of course (especially if some of them would come wedding dress shopping with me… my mom lives nowhere nearby, so I’m afraid I’m always going to be alone), but I really don’t expect anything else.
Post # 12
I expect the following of my BMs:
-Make an effort to attend wedding related events like BM dress shopping, shower, bachelorette party/weekend, the rehearsal and wedding (the last one is not optional).
-Buy a dress in the fabric/color/length I choose, under $200
-Wear some color gray/pewter shoe
-Plan the shower/bachelorette weekend and don’t make me do anything for them planning related (I will of course contribute to pay for hotel or food or services or stuff like that if needed)
-Keep in contact with me via email/text/phone when I need to know if they want hair appointments scheduled
-Be generally supportive when I have a bridezilla moment, usually realted to my mother or FMIL doing something stupid or asking me to do something stupid
-Help with random DIY tasks if necessary and they are local(paining windows, stamping placecards, etc)
-For the super tall one, wear low heels or flats (I’m 5’0 and she’s almost 6′ tall)
Post # 13
i expect my B’Maids to
-buy their dress by the deadline which is 2months from the wedding date
-wear the dress I chose for them [it is a knee length cocktail dress and they all love it]
-wear their hair up in the style I choose, with the hair accessory I give them
-Wear their own shoes but within the color and style guidelines [no flip flops or flat shoes]
-Show up for rehearsal and help decorate the church the day before
-Help me on the day of with my train, veil and bustle.
-learn the simple dance routine we agreed to do to walk into the reception
– Be my shock absorbers for any less than perfect things that happen on the day
– Enjoy themselves and hopefully wear their dress again
Post # 14
@Miss Tattoo: Tell me any problems they have upfront or if anything comes up. (money, family, work, life) I’d rather a bridesmaid tell me that she can’t afford the dress upfront so we can work something out.
Post # 15
I expected them to:
-buy their dresses on time
– wear shoes in the color that I requested
– spend the night before the wedding with me in the hotel suite (although my sister didn’t sleep with us, she was in a separate room)
– if they were getting their hair/makeup done, to have their money ready on the day-of
– put up with my ridiculous indecisiveness over everything (they were all champs at this!)
– keep me calm on the morning of/night before
– give me opinions on song choices, dresses, etc.
Basically, I wanted them to be a sounding board for my ideas. Which they were all great at 🙂 I DIDN”t expect them to actually help me with any planning stuff (calling vendors, organizing the wedding, etc). I think it’s a combo of 1. that’s not really fun for them, and 2. I’m too much of a control freak to let someone else do that stuff.
Post # 16
I agree with arclee, i just expect them to show up and be my friend in the meantime. lol. I have a girl who basically called dibs on being MOH without being asked but we’re not even really friends anymore – I’ve seen her once this year. I don’t want her in the bridal party unless we plan on becoming better friends again, which seems unlikely.