(Closed) What does $200 per head buy me?

posted 5 years ago in Food
Post # 3
3619 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

Congrats on booking your venue 😉

Post # 4
5428 posts
Bee Keeper

I am not in NYC and the first thing I said to myself when I saw that title was “$200 will buy me 1 guest” I cannot imagine paying $200 per person. I am paying about $25 per person at a brunch buffet, can’t afford a sit down dinner type of meal.

Post # 7
467 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

$200 per head in NYC should definitely get you very good food, open bar and a good cocktail hour with several options for passed hors d’oeuvres.

Have you looked at Abigail Kirsch? We’re getting married at one of their venues and all I’ve heard is stuff about how amazing their food is. (Though we haven’t had our tasting yet) They also do outside catering! (And my price per head is a little less than that with tax and admin fee).

Post # 8
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I just had a heart palpitation. I did mine during lunch hour so I could spend 30 instead of 50!

Post # 9
3886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

My DC catering bill came up to ~$9,700 for 74 people (my iPad doesn’t have a calculator so you’ll have to do the math). That bought us 4 passed hors ouvers selections (salmon, lamb, lentil empanadas, mushroom sliders); plated starter (pate brisee shell, roasted tomatoes, gruyere, with a baby green salad garnish); choice of 4 entrees (mahi mahi, tenderloin, chicken, mushroom risotto); amazing cake; all the table rentals (10 dining tables, DJ table, 4 cafe tables, 6 high-tops), china, linens, and staff.

The venue provided the chairs. We did not do overlays on the tables (saved 50% of the linens).

We also paid $24/head for premium open bar (absolut, Bacardi gold, can’t remember the other brands). We paid $700 for the champagne toast (I screwed that up by naming my brand without checking prices… Guess I have expensive tastes) and $125 for 2 cases each of special-order (hard cider, hard ginger beer).

When pricing vendors, this caterer was in the middle of the band from the venue’s approved list, but that list was all high-end names. The quality was outstanding and while the price tag still hurts a bit, I feel we got a good value. Especially from the open bar, and the amazing cake. I know it’s not NYC, but DC isn’t too far off of NYC pricing.

Post # 12
467 posts
Helper bee

@nushka:  Haha! Sorry about bringing up shades of maternal nagging. 🙂

From my research, I definitely think you should be able to get something of high quality for $200 or less, including tax and fee. Good luck!

Oh, and where’s your venue? (Only if you don’t mind sharing, that is).

Post # 14
467 posts
Helper bee

@nushka:  Oh, yes. I know Astor Wines well. I went to NYU. 🙂 I’m sure it’ll be an awesome venue!

We actually ended up in Tappan Hill Mansion in Tarrytown. I originally looked at Steiner Studio 6 but I didn’t love the industrial look of the space.

Post # 15
602 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

In Hudson/ Bergen County it will get you a sit down 4 course meal, full cocktail hour, open bar and vinanese hour. We paid about $150 after taxes and tips.

The topic ‘What does $200 per head buy me?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors