- Frugal Bride
- 8 years ago
- Wedding: July 2010
Fiance and I got engaged July 2009. We would have loved a spring/summer 2010 wedding, but it wasn’t possible for us to pull together enough money to have the big traditional wedding we envisioned in that short a time. So we set the date for May 2011.
We have very recently re-evaluated our priorities, and have decided to do a 180 with regards to the wedding of our dreams. Our intentions are to have a small, intimate wedding with immediate family only (parents, siblings, grandparents). When consulting our calendars, we found that the ONLY month available to us (planning around other weddings, parents going away on trips, etc.) is this July, otherwise we would have to wait until May 2011 afterall.
We decided to rush it and go with July for a couple reasons:
– The most important reason to me, I have 3 grandparents with failing health and at the rate that they are deteriorating there’s a chance that they won’t all be around in a year from now.
– We just want it done. We already have a baby together and we feel that getting married is the next step for us. We don’t want to put this important step in our lives off for another year.
So, the problem you might ask? FI’s step-sister is getting married in August, and our weddings would be 6 weeks apart. We haven’t yet revealed our new date to FI’s family (because it’s a very new decision, and we wanted to check with vendors to make sure it was possible first), but I sent a message to step-sister as a courtesy to let her in on our plans. She is very laid back, and I anticipated no conflict with her, but I was wrong! She replied that she is very upset with our decision, that she feels we are stepping on her toes and are being disrespectful of her.
Personally, I would not be upset if our roles were reversed. I intentionally didn’t consider the month of August, because I wanted to avoid stealing her wedding month, but I really thought that 6 weeks was ample time between weddings. Further, I assumed that because our wedding will be so small, smaller than step-sister’s, that it’s not as though our day will overshadow hers.
I was so excited about our new plans. The best part about it is that for the first time ever my father has agreed to come to our wedding, and even to walk me down the aisle (he’s kind of anti-social and it was likely that he wouldn’t attend a large, traditional wedding). But after receiving step-sister’s reply that she feels we are being rude and disrespectful, it has made me very upset.
I guess the question is whether or not Fiance and I are being unreasonable? Is 6 weeks too soon between weddings? And do we go ahead with our plans or wait until May 2011?