What is the average cost of a wedding cake that serves 150 ppl

posted 3 years ago in Food
Post # 2
1918 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I think it’s typically $5-7/slice, but it varies based on the intricacy of your design.  So your quote seems about right.  I was able to save money by having a fake cake made.  It allows them to decorate in advance and we served sheet cakes in the back.  No one knew the difference and I saved about 40% off the price she originally quoted me.

You might also want to consider checking out licensed at home bakers, and local grocery stores.

As for the tasting, it varies.  With some I had to leave a pay a nonrefundable deposit that could be applied towards the cost of my cake (like $25) and with others it was complimenary.

Post # 3
1108 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

WOW that seems really high.  I paid about $2pp and got the top layer for free, but that was definitely the cheapest.  My highest “normal” quotes (meaning not a really fancy bakery) was $3.50pp.  I’m in a Mid-West suburb.

ETA – definitely get samples.  I went to a few bakeries where the cakes were pretty dry.  Very glad I didn’t blindly order from them.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  RedWine13.
Post # 4
714 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

My cake was for 150 people and cost us $750!

Post # 5
9130 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

Following! I made a thread about this last week- very curious.

Post # 6
771 posts
Busy bee

It really depends on the area where you live, when you are getting it, flavors, complexity of decor etc..

I have seen some cakes for 150 pp that cost almost $2k 

Post # 7
66 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

colleen.nerissa:  yea, it really depends on the area you are from, whether you want buttercream or fondant, and sometimes on the design as well. I am from Boston and for a “famous bakery”, it is $6-8 per person.

Post # 8
2974 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

a friend of my family has a small cake making business and she made our cake. it was $200 for approx. 200 people, $1 a slice. we had a pretty simple 3-tier cake. no fancy designs or anything.

Post # 9
3633 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

Our was for 150 pp and we paid between $700-$750. I think it was like $4.50 per slice. The slices were huge though and we had tons left over!

Post # 10
1521 posts
Bumble bee

My cake was priced at $850 for 150 people. We had the whole top tier left – it’s in our freezer to enjoy on our anniversary.

Post # 11
599 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

I make wedding cakes 🙂

My price is anywhere from $150-$600 for 150 ppl. It really depends on the flavors and intricacy of the design, tiers vs. sheet cake, and if fondant is used.

Best thing to do, is give your baker a price range, and your ideas. Then the baker can give you a few ideas keeping in that range.

Post # 12
599 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2015

MrsCallalily:  blech! That cake is gonna be icky. I would seriously consider just having your Baker make a replica.

Post # 13
3728 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

colleen.nerissa:  Your quote seems about right. What I found was the cupcakes were so much cheaper! I got mine from a very well known bakery for $29 a dozen, or about $430 (designed to have extras because my family loves desserts– they ate them all!). If we went with a less well known bakery, it would be even cheaper.

Post # 14
5209 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

colleen.nerissa:  You should be able to sample before you buy. Again, it depends on where you live. I’ve seen a $4000 wedding cake. For that kind of money you might as well get a wedding surf n’ turf! The last wedding I went to had a pretty cake but it tasted horrible. Thank goodness for the ice cream bar!

In all honesty it’s just a cake so it’s up to you if you feel $750 is worth it. A cake looks pretty in a few pictures and then it’s cut up and looks like any other cake slice once it’s plated and served to your guests. My cake was thrown in for free by our caterer. We had a little under 200 guests and SOOO much cake left over. It would have been a waste if we paid for it and DH and I are not the type to eat leftover cake that’s been sitting in the freezer for a year. 

Post # 15
7319 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

A good baker around here is in the $5-8 per serving range, so $750 would be on the low end of average here.

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors