What is this?

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
13889 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

White gold is not pure gold so it’s quite possible you are allergic to something that was mixed with the gold.  Even yellow gold, unless it’s 24k is mixed with other metals so you could be allergic 10-18k gold as well.  If it keeps coming back, it’s more than likely it’s your ring.  Does it happen if you don’t wear your ring? How about switching the ring to your right hand and see if the reaction follows.

Post # 4
Hostess
11864 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

futuremrsJR:  White gold is usually plate with Thodium, perhaps you’re allergic to the plating?  That, or you’re not allergic to the plating but you’re allergic to the white gold underneath as the plating wears off.

Post # 5
Member
245 posts
Helper bee

I had something similar from my wedding band. It was 10k gold. Mine escalted and I can no longer wear it. I had a rash all over my finger and it was extremely itchy. My finger was also swelling. I can only wear 14k gold or more…you may have a stronger allergy than me. What kind of metal is yours? 

Post # 6
Member
7866 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Allergic reaction to the nickel in the WG most likely.

Post # 7
Member
2924 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

futuremrsJR: have you tried platinum? It’s supposed to be more hypoallergenic than gold 

Post # 10
Member
245 posts
Helper bee

futuremrsJR:  It looks like you may have a stronger nickel allergy! I’m sorry, that must be so disappointing! I cried a LOT when I was allergic to my wedding ring. Maybe look into having it reset in platinum?

Post # 11
Member
1318 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: A very pretty church.

futuremrsJR:  Try getting tested to confirm your sensitivity. Then reset in a metal/alloy that is safe and has the aesthetics you want. Palladium may be a good option, or a palladium white gold alloy.

Post # 12
Member
7561 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: March 2014 - A castle!

Start taking your ring off at night to sleep, and also when you shower/do dishes/get your hands wet. It could be a combination of a nickel allergy compounded with irritation from moisture underneath the ring.

Post # 13
Member
1318 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: A very pretty church.

futuremrsJR:  Even 18k white gold is frequently alloyed with nickel, which is the likely cause of this issue.

Post # 14
Member
2520 posts
Sugar bee

futuremrsJR:  It’s possible the Rhodium plating is wearing off and the yellow gold underneath is causing the reaction. The same rash happens with my yellow gold ring but not with my white gold one until the plating starts wearing and I get it redipped.

Leave a comment


Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors