(Closed) What kind of food should I serve for my 1:30pm wedding?

posted 6 years ago in Food
Post # 3
9056 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

@chowmeingrl:  I wouldn’t expect a meal at that time. I think a midafternoon “tea” type menu would be lovely if you like things girls/romantic. Like fruit and finger sandwiches and light sweets. 

Eta: i wouldn’t turn down heavier apps either but meat always seems to called for when I think “heavy” which can add up quickly price wise. 

Post # 4
142 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

I think that would be perfect. People have usually already had lunch by the time. 

Post # 5
1512 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

That’s after lunch and before dinner. I would think light apps would be appropriate, but if you want to go heavier, that’s fine too.

Post # 6
625 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I saw something in a magazine once where they had little mini gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup shooters… I sort of wanted to eat the page. But this seems sort of lunch related, and September appropriate maybe?

I just realized I’ve totally ignored the part where you said “on a budget” and there part where you were in California (is it warm there still in Sept.?), so i don’t know… but i still think it’s a cute idea.

Post # 7
8359 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I guess it also depends on your guest list. If they have to travel an hour to get to the ceremony that means they would be leaving at about 12ish so would be skipping lunch etc. If they live 10 mins away then they would have time for lunch. Most people will also arrive between 1 and 1.30pm so for aome people that would be lunchtime. I think it also depends on what time you plan on wrapping up the reception as well.

Post # 8
2775 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

As long as you wrap things up by 5 or 6 PM, a 1:30 start time puts you squarely in between-meal territory.  You don’t have to serve a full meal and as a guest I wouldn’t expect it, nor would I arrive starving.  I like @SapphireSun’s suggestion for an afternoon tea – that can be done inexpensively while still looking elegant.

Post # 9
194 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

My wedding is at 2:30 and we are planning appitizers and cocktails.  We chose that time specifically so we could get away with that menu without having guests expect a meal we couldn’t possibly pay for.

Post # 10
5273 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

Light snacks/ apps are totally fitting for that time slot.

Post # 11
4485 posts
Honey bee

What time is the reception? The ceremony time is moot. For mid-afternoon (not a meal time), cake and punch is plenty.

Post # 12
5405 posts
Bee Keeper

I’m gonna be honest. I would probably arrive hungry. I’m not much of a breakfast eater and I’m not sure if I would think I should eat at home first. But I may be in the minority here. 

Heavy appetizers would probably be good though. Nobody would be starving, even if they hadn’t eaten a meal before they came. But I would be sure to have the food you do serve to be on the more substantial side. 

The topic ‘What kind of food should I serve for my 1:30pm wedding?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors