Post # 1
Hey everyone, I came across a problem today while trying to get our wedding locations settled. You see, the place we want to have the reception is not available for booking 2012 dates until Thursday so we can’t book ANYTHING until that is finalized (SO frustrating!!). Because of this, I had been putting off booking the church for the ceremony. The church we want is FH’s church since childhood and would be FREE for us since he is a member of the church. Unfortunately, today we found out that the church is already booked for the date we want. 🙁
Now we have to find a new ceremony location OR change our date. I don’t want to do either but we have to choose one. I’m not set on that church but all the other churches in our area are very expensive so I was thinking of having the wedding outside our reception venue on that date if we get it. I always wanted to be married outside but was too scared to chose that because of rain fears- our potential venue doesn’t have a suitable indoor ceremony area.
What would you do? Decide to have the ceremony outside and deal with the possible rain or change the date? I am reluctant to change the date again unless we can’t get the reception venue since the date has been changed so many times due to various reasons and I was finally happy with the date/place we had chosen. I don’t know what to do and feel so upset. >.< How did you decide to have an outdoor ceremony? What precautions do you need to take? Is it stupid to plan an outdoor ceremony when there is no potential to move it inside?
Post # 3
We just couldn’t find anything else in our budget.
Many places that do outdoor weddings have a back up plan in case of rain (depending on the area, of course) So when looking at prospective venues, ask what their back up plan is for incliment weather.
Post # 4
I had always wanted an outdoor ceremony but with no guarantee on the weather I chose indoor. Since your reception place doesn’t have an indoor backup, you may have to rent a tent last minute. Something to keep in mind for the budget. I would probably change my date so there is no risk. You will probably find in all wedding planning that it might be hard to make a decision and so really frustrating to have to change it. But you will end up loving the change after not too long. A free ceremony venue would be hard to pass up.
Post # 5
I had an outdoor ceremony and reception – everything was in open air, on the sand. I love the beach and wanted a casual sunset ceremony. The venue did not have an indoor space. I had to make the decision on whether to erect a tent three days before the wedding, based on the weather forecast. I was on pins and needles about it because I REALLY wanted it all to be under open sky. When the time came, the forecast was no rain, but there was a possibility of excessive wind. I decided NOT to put up the tent, and everything was fine. It was a perfect day.
I love outdoor weddings, and I would risk the chance of rain any day for a gorgeous outdoor venue. And tent weddings can be gorgeous, too!
Post # 6
Ooooh! That is a hard one but if you go outdoor route you need a backup. If it poured what would you do? A tent can work depending on time of year. Blowing rain can make it miserable if you live in hurricane country. If it was me I would change the date or spring for a good tent.
Post # 7
I would insist on an outdoor wedding, it sounds to me like that’s really what you really WANT anyway and it’s YOUR day!! I’m having an outdoor ceremony & cocktail hour – call it a leap of faith, call it wishful thinking but I predict nothing but sunshine on my wedding day (doesn’t every bride?)! If our venue didn’t have an indoor backup space, I would have absolutely rented tents. Either way, your guests are covered from rain, a small portion of wind that might blow through or the scorching sun depending on the weather where you live.
Post # 8
Thanks for the input everyone! I guess I just have to think of what my priorities are- my date or a for sure inside venue in case of rain. It is so hard for me to stick to one decision- it was hard choosing the date in the first place because I actually wanted the week after but it absolutely would not work because there is a big event in my area on that day.
I think I am going to try for my original date and hope for the best…..getting the venue is not a sure thing anyway since we can’t book until this Thursday and it is popular so a lot of people will be in line vying for dates. I have 2 back up dates that I am not as thrilled with but will do if I can’t get my date. At this point, I am leaving it up to fate (what is available by the time I am able to book it). My FI’s family is actually doing us a HUGE favor and sitting for basically 24 hours in line to book our venue and hopefully get our date. If we get the date we want, I’m thinking the outdoor wedding is meant to be. =P
Post # 9
I would change the date… I think that it would be very sweet to get married in the church he has belonged to since a child.