Post # 1
I am currently my SIL’s MOH, and while I was the type of bride who really didn’t want any help until the wedding day, she will require quite a lot more attention. I am really excited to do whatever I can to help her along, but I was wondering if there were things that your MOH did or is doing that was above and beyond what you expected? I really want to do as much as I can to make things smooth for her.
Post # 3
Be the go to person for the bridesmaids so they don’t stress the bride out. I always tell the girls to ask me and I will find out if I don’t already know the answer so the bride doesn’t have to get so many questions. Usually as the MOH I know the answer.
Post # 4
probably the best thing is to just keep in touch with her, ask her questions about things, and let her talk through her ideas with you. a lot of people (like me!) are kind of cautious about talking about wedding stuff because you don’t want to be THAT GIRL who can’t talk about anything but her wedding and annoys the crap out of people, ya know? It is nice to know that I can direct all my wedding talk to my MOH and she actually likes talking about all of it 🙂
Post # 5
I liked that my moh asked if she could help in any way, even though I didn’t need it.
Post # 6
My MOH lives in another country from me. I loved that she wrote me emails once a week or phoned me with questions and making sure that everything was ok, that I wasn’t stressing and making sure that I had someone to vent wedding related things to who wasn’t FH.
Post # 7
@Bride16: That’s a good suggestion to be sure the other ladies (there are 6) know that they should come through me once things get a little more hectic. I was already kind of thinking about doing weekly updates so everyone knows where things are, but we’ll see.
Post # 8
i ditto PP- offering to help and organizing and coordinating the other bridesmaids. oh and just generally being a smiling face to turn to =)
Post # 9
I was recently the MOH for my friend. Things I did for her:
1. Attended meetings with vendors. As someone who is already married, I knew certain questions to ask that she may not have thought of.
2. Threw her bridal shower and organized her bachelorette party.
3. Found her venue
4. Created an emergency bridal kit.
5. I was also her florist… so I couldn’t be there the whole time, so I assigned another BM as my second in command, made sure she confiscated her phone on the day so we filtered phone calls, got her any last second items she needed, and kept her fed and hydrated.
6. Served as a sounding board for any ideas she had for the wedding, researched and made suggestions.
7. Something one of the bridesmaids did which was awesome… the bride HATES talking on the phone with people she doesn’t know. So, one of the long distance BMs decided she would be her secretary. She cold called vendors and set up appointments for her, then would email the bride her schedule.
8. Wrote a toast.
9. Handled any last second emergencies. The biggest that comes to mind is groom fell on the way up the aisle and chipped his front teeth. The show went on, but afterwards, the groom needed a few minutes to compose himself. The best man calmed him down, I got him ice. And then I shooed the rest of the bridal party to another part of the venue so we could take photos with the photographer so the groom could have some alone time. Basically, it’s about being aware of your bride and groom, and making sure their comfort and happiness is your biggest priority.
Post # 10
That’s an awesome idea for an out-of-town bridesmaid.
I also like knowing that you said you attended meetins with vendors. My MOH is my FH sister and I was worried that I would be bugging her… but maybe she won’t mind. (She’s really into weddings and planning events, but it also 4 months pregnant.)
Post # 11
**Just realized how old this post is! (hehe)
What I remember doing as a Maid of Honor! Off the top of my head!
– I hosted an engagement and bridal luncheon for her
– went to her fittings
– went to her house to make favors
– just text her and made sure she didnt need anything (mental support! lol)
– spent the night with her the night before the wedding
– food runs
– I made sure i was timely, encouraging/supportive and willing!
I’m sure you’ll do great! =)