What time was/is your wedding? Reception ending at 8:30pm?

posted 3 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: Would you enjoy a wedding that ended at 8:30pm?
    I would prefer a day wedding so I can get home at a decent time especially if it is long distance : (13 votes)
    14 %
    No I would rather an evening wedding as I like the party feel : (44 votes)
    47 %
    Time doesn't matter as long as everyone is kept entertained : (36 votes)
    39 %
  • Post # 3
    10384 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2010

If the reception serves dinner, doesn’t that put dinner towards the end of the reception? If people don’t want to stay at the reception for 6 hours, that’s going to be awkward.

I think if you have an 11am wedding, you need to move the reception a little earlier and make it a lunch meal – which really, it is, since people won’t want to eat at 9:30-10am, come to the wedding, and then not eat again until dinner. It’s too much of a gap.

Post # 4
    1696 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

We decided to do ours at 4pm. I don’t know how we got to that time, but it begins at 4. So adding in reception time (4 hours) and ceremony, we’re done at 8:45ish. I was more worried I’d be serving dinner too early than ending too early. We’re going to keep the party going at the pub next door.

Post # 5
    592 posts
    Busy bee

I had a “twilight” wedding on a Sunday and it was great. We had the ceremony at 2, cocktail hour at 3, dinner and dancing starting at 4.  We ended at 8:30.  The majority of people stayed until the end.  We still had a blast getting everyone on the dance floor and it still ended early enough for people to get home at a reasonable time.

Post # 6
    559 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Our ceremony begins at 11:30am and the reception ends at 6pm. We will be serving appetizers during cocktail hour (about 1-2pm) and then lunch immediately after. People will be home by dinner, but will have still spent a good 5-7 hours with us.

I feel like 11 – 8 is a really long time. I’d probably leave early to go eat dinner unless I was having a super awesome time and/or dinner was going ot be served later. But honestly I’d be antsy for food the whole time if dinner wasn’t served toward the beginning of the reception. I’d say either start and end early, or start and end late, but don’t stretch it so far out.

But to answer your question, yes, as a guest I’d love a wedding that ended earlier in the evening so I can get home. Folks with kids might also agree, but I think I’m still in the minority here.

ETA: I just re-read and saw that people won’t be arriving until 2:30. that’s still quite a while to hold out on dinner. Can you at least have heavey appetizers at the beginning for folks who went to the ceremony and for folks who will expect food?

Post # 7
    105 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

Uh thank you for posting this! Bumping to see replies cause I too am interested! 🙂 

Post # 13
    226 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

@LunaFleurLavender:  I think it will be great as long as I am fed at decent times. I am always so exhausted when wedding ceremonies start at 2 then go to reception and stay till midnight. Plus the getting ready before the wedding starts. Believe me shortly after dinner and cake I am ready to go home and relax, so for me your ending time would be perfect 🙂

Post # 15
    1175 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

@LunaFleurLavender:  Our ceremony is at 4pm on Sunday.  Folowed by a cocktail hour, a private dinner and wrapping it up whenever.  But we are only have immeadiate family so we expect that the party will carry on all weekend and wrap up with our wedding.

I agree with PP have a lunch meal otherwise it is a really long gap and people dont want to wait to be fed.

Post # 16
    3112 posts
    Sugar bee

@LunaFleurLavender:  Mine ended at 9.  I love when receptions end around that time because you can either head home or stay out all night and post-party!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors