(Closed) What Type of Pots & Pans?

posted 9 years ago in Gifts and Registries
Post # 3
626 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

We are planning on registering with Pampered Chef and getting thier pots and pans.  Personally, I don’t like the non-stick ones.  Recent studes show that a compound called PFQA, which is often present in the teflon coating, is a human carcinogen.  This is said to become a real issue when the pan is heated to high or medium heat, when scratched with any kind of metal (like a spoon), and when put in the dishwasher.

Stainless steel is also much more resilitiant and can stand up to the dishwasher without breaking down. The downside to stainless is that it does not heat evenly.  This is why you see pots and pans with copper bottoms.  The copper is a great heat conductor.  Other stainless steel posts have a layer of aluminum in the bottom for the same purpose.

A non-stick surface is handy for some applications such as cooking eggs, scallops, pancakes.. etc.  For these I suggest Cast Iron.  Cast iron needs to be seasoned but his isn’t an incredibly difficult task and directions can be found easily with help from our good friend Google.  It’s an amazing cookware that can last your lifetime and well beyond.

I highly suggest a combination of these two for your kitchen!  According to Consumer Reports <span class=”charttext_bold”>KitchenAid <span class=”charttext”>Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainles got the best rating for uncoated sets.  This of course was not an all inclusive list so there may very well be better sets out there (I wish they included the pampered chef brand so I could see how they stack up!)

Hope this helps!..

The topic ‘What Type of Pots & Pans?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors