(Closed) what will you do for destination hair & makeup?

posted 8 years ago in Destination Weddings
Post # 3
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We’re actually a bit nervous about ours.  We found someone who will do our hair and make-up at our destination.  However, we will not have time for a trial with her, since we are arriving only the day before.  In addition, another bride says that the person no-showed on her–twice.  However, NotFroofy thinks she can handle her own hair and make-up if this person does not show.  And I haven’t worn make-up since I was 15, so if necessary, I can just do without.

Post # 4
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I’ve been struggling with this one! I’m not a huge makeup person, but do want to wear more than I normally would for the day and for pics. I’ve decided to go with a super simple updo I can do myself – basically a bun, and am going to buy some small silk flowers that I can also easily put in myself to embellish.

For makeup, I decided to look at magazines for inspiration, went out and bought similar products and have been doing practice runs and will continue to do practice runs until I’m happy with it. That way, on the day of, instead of being nervous about what I’m doing I’ll know I’ve already done it a ton of times.

If you want a more professional look, I’ve also heard of people going to a makeup artist at home, having them do a practice run and telling you what products they’re using and how to use them as they do the practice. Then you can do it yourself on the day of.

Post # 5
3125 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

i have fretted about this a bit, and there is a CHANCE that our friend and my FI’s hairstylist (and most recently  mine, he rocks!) may come, so I could pay him.  But the makeup? I’ll be a nervous shakin’ mess so I guess practice will have to make perfect and worst case scenario, ask a friend to help. (but bring a picture of myself in the make up from practicing at home)

Post # 6
2695 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2010

I lucked out on this one because my hairstylist has done my hair and my mom’s since I was 18.  She said she wanted to go to my wedding and do my hair.  She rocks! 

For the make-up I’ll probably do my own.  I found a picture of Faith Hill and I love her hair and make-up.  So I plan to copy that look.

Post # 7
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

My hair lady is my MOH’s aunt – so she’s coming to the wedding to do my hair.  As for makeup I think I’ll do a trial with a salon near my site the next time I visit for planning. 

Post # 8
5993 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2010

heheheheh.. im such a loser…for our wedding in papua new guinea i forgot to take makeup and about 10mins before the wedding i dunked my head in the scuba equipment wash trough and that was it.   i really gotta get the pics out of the camera thingy one day

edit: oh, but i did pick a flower off a tree on the way to the ceremoy and put it behind my ear so i at least made an effort 🙂

Post # 9
246 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

hey eloping, I love that story – sounds so carefree and not so stressful!

Post # 10
158 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2018

eloping… you crack me up 🙂

I’m traveling sans primping posse, so will DIY it.  Tvilase’s plan is similar, KISS and I’ll be fine (I hope!)

Post # 11
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I will be doing my own hair and makeup for my wedding. I am doing a simple bun on the side with flowers and veil. For makeup…I am practicing weekly since December will be here before I know it. I have practiced doing it myself and had my daughter take pictures in different light and from different angles and have tweaked my makeup accordingly. I probably wear makeup about once a month, if that, so my daughter gets a kick out of seeing me put my makeup on flawlessly just to wash it off when I get it right…LOL

Post # 12
3316 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Just a follow-up:  Our hair and make-up person (found on Craigslist) did in fact show up, and did a wonderful job.

Post # 13
67 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

If you don’t mind doing your own make up, think of a look you like. Check on youtube. Thier are tutorials on how to do your own make-up. Practice a few times. Maybe you can get your maid of honour to help you out.  That’s what i am doing. Good luck!!

Post # 14
57 posts
Worker bee

My mom and I are going to take a day trip to Key West and get all that stuff figured out.  I’m going to book a few salons (hopefully one that does hair and makeup) and see how they do.  I do NOT want to do my own hair or makeup!  Luckily our destination isn’t too hard to get to, since my parents live in Miami.

Post # 15
376 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Yay ladies who are doing their own hair and MU! Hopefully I’ll get to take a trip out to book a salon and other vendors, but I’m DEFINITELY going in with a strong back-up plan, just in case! I’m so in awe of people who DIY that I might try to, just on priniciple 🙂

Post # 16
916 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2010 - Al Cielo / La Laguna

As a wedding gift to us a family friend who is a hair stylist is coming down and doing everyones for free.  What we had planned to do before was have our family friend teach my maid of honor how to do my hair and make up.  Do you have someone in your family that a stylist could teach?

The topic ‘what will you do for destination hair & makeup?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors