Post # 1
I am an encore bride, was married for four years previously. (2006-2010).
The other ring is mine (agreed to in the divorce) and I have no attachment to it whatsoever. We don’t have kids. It is currently sitting in a safe deposit box. I will never wear it again and have no desire to have it reset. My ex and I are on good terms, I’m just not interested in keeping it.
It is a 1.52 carat princess cut solitaire in a platinum setting. F color, VS1 and ideal cut. It is not GIA certified but it has an appraisal amount of ~$15,000. He paid about ~$11,000 in 2005.
I know I won’t get what it is “valued” at nor even close to what he paid.
To me, I’d rather have the money to put towards my student loans, but I don’t NEED the money and it’s not hurting me to keep it. I could easily keep it until I get an offer I’m comfortable with, but I don’t know what is realistic.
So, what would be the minimum amount you would take for it? The place he bought it from offered to buy it for half the sale price, so about $5,300.
I’m in Michigan, so the economy is not stellar. Suggestions on how to sell it would also be appreciated.
Post # 3
How insane is it that you can have a ring bought for $15,000, appraised at $11,000 but offered $5300? It’s like driving a brand new car off the car lot… once you leave the driveway it’s depreciated!! Unfortunately jewelry has a HUGE mark up.
The offer from the jeweler seems fair but I’d take it to 2 more maybe a pawn shop to compare offers. Would you consider selling it yourself, want ads, ebay?
Post # 4
I’d ask for 8k and be willing to part with it for 7000-7500 probably since it has not GIA certificate.
Post # 5
- Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA
ebay, or on this site you might get a better deal– I would definitely wait until you get an offer at least over $8000. You don’t need the money, so there’s no reason to settle for less than 1/3rd of it’s appraised value.
Post # 6
I vote give the stone to me. 😉
haha 🙂 jk
Post # 7
@sshood: I would also try selling it myself like PP said. And I wouldn’t go below 7,500. Good luck!
Post # 8
I’d maybe try selling it over on http://www.diamondbistro.com , but be aware that appraisals are always inflated so I wouldn’t realistically expect to get more than $7,500. Good luck!
Post # 9
I honestly don’t know how diamonds are appraised if they are not certified, so I cannot help you there. I would suggest taking it around to dealers, and see what they say. Look up prices for comparable non-certified diamonds to see what they are going for.
Post # 10
What is the color of the stone? That would be a factor as well. A loose stone from blue nile with the same specs ranges from $9,000-$28,000. On pricescope the prices start at $5000. The factor in price difference is the color.
Also, apprasials are usually inflated. It’s likely you are only going to get about $5,000.
Post # 11
Would it be possible to sell it for more on consignement? Or as an estate piece?
If not- try selling it yourself.
Post # 12
Definitely sell it privately!
Post # 13
Honestly I would sell it for 5k just to know it would potentially sell quickly rather than waiting. You might have more luck going to a local jeweller and see what they will purchase it for!
Post # 14
@MrsElopement: Whoops, forgot that detail. It’s F in color.
Post # 15
Considered getting it GIA or AGS graded? I would definitely look into ags if u know it is an ideal princess cut. They are the only ones that certify that. It would help your diamond be more desirable. I think online and buyers in general feel better with a cert so it may up the value u can get for it.
Post # 16
That is why uncertified diamonds are a rip off! The gold should go for market value by the ounce, no wiggle room there, but the diamond…ugh, without a certificate from GIA…an appraisal would be your best bargaining tool, call your insurance agent and ask for a reputable appraiser, what he says it’s worth, you can expect a jeweler to cut it as far as in half, since they have to make a profit, maybe they’ll do a trade in??? Otherwise you can try to sell privately, but I don’t know how well that will work out…I would go for trade in at a jeweler with an appraisal…that way you both win…