(Closed) What would you do?

posted 5 years ago in Waiting
  • poll: What would you do??
    Wait a few days and tell friends next week (hope they don't find out another way like Facebook) : (12 votes)
    25 %
    Tell a few friends but also let them know we are grieving and not wanting to talk parties etc : (23 votes)
    48 %
    Tell them and try to move on, enjoying the happiness even though its a sad time : (13 votes)
    27 %
  • Post # 3
    1404 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

@teachertobe:  Ohh I’m so sorry about your sad news… but want to wish you a big congrats on your engagement. And I’m sure your friends will feel the same. I would talk to your fiance about it and if he’s ok with announcing your engagement, then go ahead. But it’s obviously a difficult time so speak to him first.

Post # 4
    1417 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

I would also talk to your FI. Ask him how he feels about telling everyone right now. You can say I want to tell so and so about our engagement but I feel like it’s not the right time since you have so much going on. See how he feels.

p.s CONGRATS! POST RING PICS!

Post # 5
    642 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

As someone who has recently gone through mourning, I think telling a few people w/ the caveat that you are mourning is just fine. Sometimes it’s nice to celebrate some good to distract you from the (sometimes all-consuming) bad, even if its just a few congratulations and well-wishes from friends.

Post # 6
    868 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@FutureMrs.browneyes: +1 — def talk to your FI. As long as you know it will not be hurting his feelings, probably best to tell your closest friends with a caveat that you are in mourning. But FI comes first! 

Post # 8
    1431 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: April 2015

That is so freaking romantic! Congrats! I’m sorry about your loss, but I’d still tell my friends and tell them to just hold off on the celebrations for a bit while we grieved our loss. I know I wouldn’t be able to keep it in that I was engaged, but that’s just me.

Post # 9
    265 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2015

Congratulations, that’s so sweet and romantic! And yet, at the same time, so sorry for your loss. I’d definitely wait a few days, especially since your family already knows. If there are people who will definitely see the ring, then I agree with what others have said… ask FI, then tell them with the caveat.

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors