(Closed) What would you do?

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
2840 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Money isn’t everything. It comes and goes.  I would go for the new job offer even though it has less pay.  It sounds better than your current gig.

Post # 4
1729 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@howtobeawife:  +1. You need to enjoy what you’re doing or no amount of money will make it worth it. Go to the new place, it sounds like a great job!

Post # 5
8042 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2013

@givemecouture:  Wow, sounds like you’re at the point in your career where you have a lot of options!

I’m leaning towards the other job. It sounds like you’ll have more influence and better hours. Those two things would be huge factors to me. And the commute sounds better in this other job.

Post # 6
1037 posts
Bumble bee

What a situation to be in.

I live by the maximum that I would rather be happy in a job and paid less than unhappy in a job and paid a lot of money.   I have, in the past, been offered more money by firm’s and have always taken the smaller firm with the lesser pay….they always seem nicer and more genuine. 

I think, to be honest, you answered your own question with your first paragraph.  I think you already know what you want to do.  Best of luck!

Post # 7
705 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

How much of a pay drop is it? That would be my biggest concern,and the longevity of the job (plus benefits and such) Really think about it and good luck.

Post # 8
853 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012

If job security is not an issue, I would wait it out.  Partially because it’s too soon to really know if the place is like that every week of the year.  We have twice a year for about two months when it’s insane, but that’s not indicative of the entire year.  It may be that while the corporate culture is very work-driven, there are still times that are more hectic than others.  First job out of college and I was pulling 12-20 hour days (no joke) for the first four months even on weekends.  That was not how things usually ran, but they had a slew of projects back-to-back during that time even though they did view 8-hours as slacking.

Also, is moving closer to work to cut down on the commute an option?  Just a thought if you see yourself wanting to work downtown long term.

The other reason I wouldn’t switch this soon is that you’ve only been there three weeks.  That might be a flag to any other potential employers down the road.  If you’re still unhappy there in a year, then that won’t look the same as leaving after a month or two.

That said, it’s a really long time to be unhappy and stressed if things don’t improve.  I don’t know though, as far as work goes I’m a “say it with cash” and if the benefits are that great, it’s probably because they know what they’re expecting.

Basically, I don’t really know.  Sorry, OP.

Post # 10
1556 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Just from reading your post, you seem really excited about the new opportunity. It sounds like that job would be something that would make you happier, so I say go for it!

The topic ‘What would you do?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors