Yes : (40 votes)
    91 %
    No : (4 votes)
    9 %
  • Post # 3
    4441 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2013 - Harbourfront Grand Hall

@wwbga:  Are you asking if we would go on the trip or to the wedding?

Post # 4
    4043 posts
    Honey bee

@wwbga:  Are you ok with the possibility of missing the wedding? It’s possible your flight could be cancelled or delayed. I think if you are ok with possibly missing the wedding, then go and have fun. If you aren’t comfortable with that chance, then don’t go.

Post # 5
    1362 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

@bmo88:  This.

Plus I would consider the cost to the bride & groom if something happens and you don’t make it.  That would irk the crap out of me if I were the B&G.

Post # 6
    4043 posts
    Honey bee

@LMD:  That is a great point as well…you could cost the bride and groom a decent amount of money if you rsvp and don’t show, which isn’t very nice.

Post # 8
    373 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

I would go on the free trip. 

Post # 9
    Hostess
    15072 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I would call the bride and talk to her.  PP are correct about possibly not making it back because of delays. Tell her you would like to come but you are getting back from a trip that morning and you don’t want to give her a yes and then get delayed causing you not to make it. Let her make the call.

Post # 11
    Hostess
    15072 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I read your update, the trip is a no brainer, GO and have a great time. 

Post # 12
    1362 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

@wwbga:  Well a free trip to NYC from Scotland is definitely a good deal.  Depending on how close you are to the bride, maybe you could tell her you are a ‘Yes’ and if something happens with the flight and you’re unable to make it, you’d graciously pay for your place in addition to the gift you would be giving.  I don’t know if that would be considered tacky. 

I would vote to go on your once-in-a-lifetime trip to NYC all expenses paid. It will be quite an experience!

Post # 13
    1202 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

If you’re not close enough friends to be in her bridal party, I would go to NYC for free. I wouldn’t worry too much about RSVPing “yes” then not showing up, as long as your gift covers your plate (and then some, for being a little rude).  If you drive directly from the airport and don’t check baggage, 4.5 hrs still gives you a little wiggle room for delays.  There’s always paying for an earlier flight home, there’s some good deals from NYC.  

Post # 14
    324 posts
    Helper bee

@LMD:  I really like this idea! But like you I also don’t know if that would be tacky haha, hopefully someone can weigh in because this seems smart!!

OP, a free trip from Scotland to NYC sounds too awesome to pass up! It’s nice that you’re concerned about your friend’s wedding as well 🙂 very thoughtful of you!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors