- 3 years ago
- Wedding: August 2013
The past couple of summers have been full of weddings (including my own). The majority of weddings have been my DH’s group of guy friends (now also my friends) and their SOs who I collectively call “the future wives cub” because we have all been coupled up for quite some time. Now the second to last Future-wife is getting married this Sept. Her shower is fast approaching and although I will not be going because I am currently going to grad school in another province I’m not sure if I need to send something. Here are my thoughts:
Reasons to send something:
- I want the girls to like me – I often feel like the 3rd wheel with these girls and I don’t want to be forced out of the group.
- I am generally a person who likes to give gifts.
- It would be nice.
Reasons not to send something
- I’m at grad school – meaning not only am I completely broke, I was also never going to be able to go and thus, I’m sure the invite was out of courtesy only.
- These girls all gave every other couple an engagement party (I hosted the first one and contributed to others) and no one even mentioned my DH and I getting engaged let alone threw us a party to celebrate it. I don’t know why we never got one, but I’m still super hurt by it. So although it’s childish, I feel like they didn’t do anything special for me, so why should I do anything special for them.
- These girls don’t follow the same etiquette as I do – meaning that I only JUST got a thank you note for attending one bride’s shower and DW that was OVER a year ago and I still haven’t received a thank you note for any of the other weddings. So I’m not sure that sending something would even be appreciated.
- I didn’t have a shower, and this bride/groom didn’t even give DH and I a wedding present.
So, should I send something small (any ideas?), have flowers delivered, send a card saying I’m sorry I couldn’t be there and I’m excited for the wedding or do nothing?