What would you do?

posted 3 months ago in TTC
Post # 2
877 posts
Busy bee

When you are TTC, a month can feel like a lifetime.  If you can afford it, if there is a good chance you’ll be reimbursed because your insurance will be retroactive and particularly if you could end up paying the same amount even with insurance, I’d go for it.

What is the major downside to going ahead with it?  Will it put you in a difficult position financially?  Is there a chance you won’t be reimbursed by your insurance?  Are the estimated costs (i.e. no more than $500) fairly certain, or could this turn into a $3000 bill?

Post # 3
13788 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Depending on the type of health plan you have, 300-500 could be less than waht you’d pay *with* insurance.  Say for example, you have a high dedctible, you’d be responsible for the whole negoatiated amount probably.  I think my HSG was charge about 2600 to insurance.  And I ended up pyaing 100-300  (I think I had a low deductible choice plan and had already met the deductible though, it was 4 years ago so I can’t remember).   If for sure cash price is $500 tops, I’d just go for it and not wait.  But with how eff-ed up medical billing is, and how I don’t trust anythign anyoe tells me, I’d probably wait for insurnace to make sure I’m covered in case they screwed up with what they told me and end up trying to screw me.

Post # 5
877 posts
Busy bee

zoey0317 :  For an extra $300, yes I probably would do the test 1 month earlier.  However I think it is totally reasonable to delay, as this is not an insignificant amount of money by any means.  And honestly, the costs of TTC (and babies!) can really rack up, so maybe cutting costs where you can is not a bad idea.

Post # 7
252 posts
Helper bee

I would just have it done and get it over with. You also have to take into account that once your insurance kicks in, you have to have the procedure authorized and then wait for the appropriate days in your cycle. So it may be more like 2-3 months from now if you wait for insurance. 

Post # 8
1238 posts
Bumble bee

zoey0317 :  honestly I would wait the month. Incase you need to go for more appointments and tests and your insurance doesn’t cover infertility, those couple hundred you could use later. A month seems forever especially when your TTC for as long as you are. Good luck. Did they order SA for DH? 

Post # 10
5972 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’d probably just do the test. Like someone else said, when you’ve been TTC an extended period of time a month feels like forever. My insurance doesn’t cover ANYTHING fertility related (even bloodwork!) so all the inital bloodwork I had as well as DH’s SA was all out of pocket. My OB was getting ready to order and HSG for me for this month, which would have been totally out of pocket, but I ended up being pregnant (our 10th month trying). It ended at 6 weeks as an Ectopic. Still waiting on AF to show up, but I’m hoping she orders an HSG as a follow-up because I think it would actually be billed as medical (and covered under insurance) instead of fertility because I was admitted to the ER and treated with a Methotrexate injection instead of surgery.

Post # 12
5972 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

zoey0317 :  At my last annual visit to my OB for a pap was the first time I talked to her about the fact we weren’t getting pregnant despite many months of trying. She ordered bloodwork at that appointment, and I guess becaue it was my annual visit they filed it as such with my insurance so actually most of it was covered. It was all my follow-up bloodwork that I had to pay out of pocket. Sometimes insurance sucks and it’s all a pain in the butt!! It definitely is a restless feeling, and also so hopeless because you constantly feel like you’re doing all you humanly can on your own! Fingers crossed you get it done and it all comes out well!

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors