(Closed) What would you do if your FI lost $500?

posted 9 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
2434 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

Ugh.  That sucks.  Was there any tracking on the package?  Can you see if it was ever delivered?  Might it be sitting at the post office waiting to be picked up?  Could you try contacting the seller?  Does the seller have a good track record?  Might the seller be ripping you off?

I don’t see why you can’t blame him- that was a major screw up!  I would be super mad if my husband did that.  I get angry when he’s late paying a bill and we incur a late fee.

I think the only thing you can do is talk to him about it, explain that if he had done as you asked this wouldn’t have happened, and make him promise to be more careful in the future (and not lie to you about checking stuff). Then, just know that you’ll cool off with time.

Sorry!!

Post # 4
1276 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

You’re much more composed than me b/c I’d be pretty upset.  And I’d tell my FI so.  Of course, you are right that not much can be done now so it’s not worth blowing totally out of proportion, but it sounds to me like there’s more going on than just being upset about not having the camera.  I’d probably also be kind of irritated that he did not do what I asked him to do.  And if it were my FI it would probably be b/c he felt I was being ridiculously paranoid or something.  Of course he probably did not realize that you ordered the camera and case from two different places, though, so it’s also an honest mistake.

Anyway, mostly I’m sending you calming vibes.  Vent away here for sure.  And I hope you are able to work something out so that you will have a camera on your honeymoon (even if it’s not your dream camera).

Post # 5
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I would be so upset, too! More so about the fact that he messed up by lying to me.

I’d budget out the $500 one way or another. We’d not go out to eat and some other stuff. I’d make HIM replace it! If my Fi had the $500.

Surely you can contact Ebay and explain the sitaution to the seller? Hopefully they didn’t scam you! If so, maybe you can still file a complaint.  

Post # 6
695 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

If paid by Paypal, I know that you’re probably over the time limit, but you can maybe still email them to see if you can file a claim since you’re deployed and serving our country! That should count for something! Also, if you paid with a credit card via Paypal, maybe see what they have to say with filing a fraud claim. It won’t hurt to ask and at least you’ll know you tried. I’m sorry about the camera though, that sucks 🙁

Post # 7
2641 posts
Sugar bee

So sorry.  I hate to say it, but I would probably have some witchy moments, if it was me.  It was a mistake, so it’s good you are not blaming him for intentionally doing it.  But sure he should have been more diligent in checking, especially since you went over that part with him.  I’m sure it was a good learning experience for him…

I hope you can get a new one.

Look on the bright side, when you said he lost $500, I thought you were going to confessthat he had a gambling problem or something.  Aren’t you glad he just lost a camera??

@Rosy -I hear ya about the late bills…..grrr.  I just do ’em myself now.

Post # 8
291 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

I would be so angry and frustrated too, but it would worth checking all possible channels before declaring this a lost cause. Four months is a long time, yeah, but just to be 100% sure, double checking with the seller (especially if you didn’t end up posting any feedbck about the product yet — they might still be willing to work with you) and the shipping company (assuming you have a tracking number) wouldn’t hurt. You should at least make sure the camera was even delivered to your CA apartment! There are a number of scenarios that could have happened — the box got mixed up during shipping and is sitting in a warehouse somewhere, the box was delivered but someone took it (happens too often, unfortunately =), it might really just be lost inside your apartment, or maybe they tried to deliver it but for some reason or another, bounced it back to the seller. Anyway, get the frustration out and I hope you feel better about this soon!

Post # 9
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

ooooohhhhhhhh. that bites. I would be livid (at the situation).

(((((HUGS))))) Hang in there… I am sure your man feels really badly- & that is punishment enough!

Post # 10
5399 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

I’m so sorry!!! (((HUGS)))  I have to admit, I’d be mad and probably do a little yelling.  Did the seller have a good reputation?  If so, I would e-mail them and explain what happened and how you didn’t seem to find the camera and at least see what they say.  If in the end it appears as if you are being scammed, I would contact eBay to remedy the situation.  Also, someone told me the other day when I took my dress to get cleaned that to get my money back from the first company, just contact my credit card company to file a complaint and they’ll actually refund your money for you!  Basically they’ll take it out of the account they originally put it in…it’s worth a try!  Good luck and I hope at the end of it you either get the camera or your cash back.

Post # 12
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

Ah, well, what can you do but things happen, right?

I’m sure if I added up all those "little" dollars here and there I lose throughout the year, it’d add up awfully fast  

Post # 13
2324 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

I’m so sorry that this happened. That sucks! It’s one of those things that happens that you feel so pissed off by because you can’t control it or fix it. Yuck! Be mad for awhile, I think you’ll feel better in a couple of hours! 

Post # 14
1392 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010 - Heron Hill Winery

I can relate to a degree…my man didn’t lose a $500 dollar camera but he meithers (s.p.) well have…In one month after he told me again and again that he was properly balancing his check book (after my nagging) he incurred near $800 in overdraft fees, because he kept going by what the available balance said. Needless to say I was livid, because this meant no shopping/treating myself I needed to make up the difference to cover the bills.  I was so angry, but had to let it go because I know he didn’t intentionally overdraft his account.  I think he has learned his lesson though (he now has overdraft protection)

Post # 15
2004 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2008

Hugs!! This totally sucks. I’m sorry this happened. I would be really mad too. My husband has also made some serious financial blunders…to the tune of thousands of dollars. I was mad at first but then I was okay. This is the man I married, and he is a scatterbrain. It has made us both more careful for the future. An expensive lesson, yes, but there could be far worse ones. All that is lost is a camera. Besides, just because you get a camera doesn’t mean you’ll keep it forever….you could be like me, I accidentally dropped my camera in the ocean on our honeymoon!

Post # 16
2373 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Honestly, I’d shoot mine.  Fortunatley, when we were in college and really struggling he once lost 20 dollars- he never lost anything again!

The topic ‘What would you do if your FI lost $500?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors