Post # 1
I have complained various times about the DH’s cousin’s wedding that was this weekend. I knew it was going to be pretty ‘white trash’ but they ended up outdoing themselves. She was a DIY bride, but it didn’t looke cute DIY, it just looked cheap and trashy – here are the highlights, and I want to hear your stories!
- program fans on popsicle sticks that were crooked with the tape and cutlines obvious on all of them
- “vocialist” and “Maid of Honors” (she had two Maids of Honor) the spelling highlights – mind you she is looking for a job as a teacher
- The groom thanked his wife for envisioning this beautiful day and doing everything financially (sure both sets of parents appreciated being called bums)
- One-sided buffet of pork sandwiches, baked beans, and other various picnic food that took an hour to put through 200 people
- One bartender serving one keg of beer and one keg of root beer that was gone 2 hours into the 6 hour reception. They did go to a store and get cans of beer to serve for free but there was NOTHING ELSE for people to drink free – not even WATER! kids and other non-drinkers had to fill up cups of water at the water fountain.
- The highlight of the evening – the place they held the reception was basically a rental fee only – you provide food drink, decorations, and serving staff. Since the couple got their food at the grocery store (no catering) they had three of the MOB’s friends serve/cleanup. Well, after clearing the plates, one lady proceeded to get DRUNK and go HOME! The bartender was serving them FREE DRINKS! For heaven’s sake – you couldn’t even get ice water and the help was getting free drinks! A second lady was in the kitchen drinking, and the third was sick.
- My DH’s mom, aunt (not the cousin’s mom – she didn’t lift a finger) and SIL went into the kitchend AND DID THE DISHES! I still cannot believe it. I would have been mortified had I been the bride. No one from the groom’s side or anyone besides those three helped. In fact when the aunt walked in, the drunken lady yelled ‘you better not be in here unless you’re cleaning’. DH’s other cousin (her Mother-In-Law was the aunt helping in the kitchen) and I sat at a table talking. We refused to do the dishes at someone elses’ wedding – especially since we don’t really like this girl.
- The aunt was like, if we hadn’t gone in and helped, the poor bride would have been in there doing it – I’m thinking then they should have actually hired help or done paper plates. It was ridiculous.
- We left after that before the three women started feeling the need to stay and help take down and clean off all the tables – DH’s mom had already started going around collecting all the salt and pepper shakers.
- After they got the dishes done, the aunt was hot and thirsty, and had to pay for a pop after that same bartender was (and was continuing) to give free drinks to the drunks in the kitchen.
Lessons learned – for God’s sake if you can’t afford to hire someone to clean up your sh*t at a wedding – do paper plates or WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN AFFORD IT! I would have been so embarrassed as the bride if I knew that other family members that were there as guests had to clean up for me at my wedding. While my mom, Mother-In-Law and SIL did nothing.
It was a classy affair, that’s for sure.
So what are your worst wedding stories?
Also, apologies for the length
Post # 3
@hisgoosiegirl: This is the best story ever! I love it! I’ve got nothing that comes even close, but hopefully with a bump, more people will find this thread and have some stories.
Post # 4
Idk why this thread hasn’t gotten any love. Because it has the potential to be epic; just sayin’. I have no horror stories to tell, but I’d love to hear others, ’cause I know we’ve got some doozies floatin’ around here.
Post # 5
My brother went to a wedding in Indiana (the bride was the cousin of his then-girlfriend) where they were served mac and cheese for dinner with champagne in cans. Not bottles – aluminum cans. Then when the bride and groom came in to the reception hall, they played “A Whole New World” from Aladdin. There were other weird aspects of it, but I’m drawing a blank, as the champagne-in-cans ordeal was the big one…
Post # 6
Mine was when the COPS had to be called because the brides mom and brother HATED her husband to be and it started a HUGE fight.. the MOM literally started SWINGING ! tears were flowing it was a HUGE mess ..
The mother ended up getting arrested and taken away ..needless to say we all left shortly after
The groom was/IS a total douchebag though …..
Post # 7
That is pretty bad. The wedding I went to a few years ago was not this bad but it was certainly the worst I have been to.
The bride & groom had only been to the venue in the dead of winter and hadn’t considered the possibility that a greenhouse in August might be scorching. There was no A/C, only industrial fans that were doing nothing but moving the humid air around. The best part was having to be there the whole day (12pm-1am) since Fiance was in the wedding party. I spent a good chunk of that time just hanging out with the other 2 girlfriends while they did photos for what seemed like eternity.
The heat was unbearable which I wouldn’t have minded so much if the bride had been considerate enough to offer some food or drinks to all the people she asked to show up early. We ended up driving to McDonald’s to bring all the guys something to eat. I passed on the food because I assumed that the dinner would be good because they hyped it up so much. BARF. I could barely eat it. I did because I was starving but I think cardboard would have tasted better.
Post # 8
Oh man. That is an epic wedding. Totally beats my wedding horror story. The worse wedding I’ve ever attended, the bride was completely disorganized. Her mother gave her very few tasks to do. One was the programs. She waited till the morning before the wedding and tried to print them. It didn’t work. So she had to have one of her bridesmaid go to office depot and get them printed. Obviously there was no time for spell checker because half of the words was spelled wrong. Bride shows up to have her hair done late which ended up making some of her bridesmaid not get their hair done at all (One stylist for the bride and 3 bridesmaids). No one knew what was going on or anything. It was a hot mess. The Rehearsal was worse though so maybe its a positive thing.
Post # 9
I didn’t even know you could get champagne in a can!
Post # 9
hahah… I’m just waiting for someone to be like, “hey! that was MY wedding!”
Post # 10
@Elvis: Haha neither did I!! He said it was the most awkward wedding ever. Where do you even go to try to find “champagne” in cans?! lol
Post # 11
Oh this is awesome LOL. I’ve been in 27 weddings now and I’ve seen all kinds of crazy ass things happen. Never though all at the same wedding.
I was at a wedding where the groom was arrested for smoking pot in the parking lot. It was epic.
At another wedding the Mother of the Groom got hammered and started telling every woman that walked into the bathroom how upset she was that her son was getting married to a “whore that got herself pregnant on purpose for their money”.
I went to another wedding where they had a lunch buffet. Sounds great right? Nope. They actually had stacks of homemade sandwiches on regular white bread in individual plastic bags. They had invidual pasta salads from the local grocery store that still had the grocery stores wrapping on them. Everything looked like it was from a little kids school lunch. Everything was warm so we stopped eating and later that night facebook exploded with people who were throwing up. 84 of her 108 guests got some form of food poisoning.
Post # 12
One of FH’s friends. It was very casual and low-key but totally disorganized. There were no table numbers, no one knew where to sit at the reception! I understand they were on a budget, so I don’t really hold the fact that they had a potluck style dinner against them… but they could have at least made things more organized for their guests! It doens’t take more than a sharpie or a post-it note to designate where people are seated….
(my story pales in comparison… I guess I’ve been blessed to attend well-thought-out weddings! )
Post # 13
@Mrs. Fireworks: Champagne in a can, can be really cute if done the right way.. I’m surprised no one’s heard of sofia champagne in the pink cans.
Post # 14
My sister’s wedding.
Mostly because she was ‘above it’ and there was no thought put into it. She let her mother in law control a lot of aspects. The venue was horrible- too small for 200 guests. The A/C broke on a 98 degree day. No dance floor because the venue was too small, people danced in the entrance way.
The food didn’t match the venue. They had catered BBQ (the caterer forgot two side dishes so it was meat and bread) and the venue was this religious hall with cheap chandeliers and silk flowers all over. There were crosses and mother mary’s.. and booze. Lots of booze.
My sister spent A LOT of money on her dress (which was beautiful)- but didn’t bother with anything else.
I can honestly say I was mortified.
Edit to add:
She had a good sized budget to work with- more than my wedding. She was lazy.
Post # 15
@hisgoosiegirl: I am going to the other side of things and feel sorry for this girl. I don’t think making fun of someone because they couldn’t afford to do things properly is funny in my book. This could have been my wedding and I am sure many others out there. Not all of us can afford a 30k wedding. Some wedding disasters truly are funny. I don’t think this is one of them. If I had not had someone step in to help financially mine would have been a potluck in the park. I guess that makes me white trash then…lol.
As for a truly funny after the fact story. I know someone whose preacher forgot about the wedding, drove by the site and didn’t think twice about it. He finally realized it when he got home to several messages on the machine. Apparently he and the wife had been out grocery shopping and he thought that was the biggest thing he had to do that day. 🙂