- 3 years ago
- Wedding: April 2014 - Italian Villa
Darling Husband and I are anticipating a long-awaited move back to the Denver area in about 6 months. Currently, we live in a very very small town in the middle of nowhere in the mountains for his job. We are both looking forward to getting back to civilization!
I LOVE Denver, and I would like nothing better than to live downtown for at least a few years (specifically, LoDo or LoHi), and then maybe move out into the suburbs when we want to start TTC.
Darling Husband disagrees. He would rather live in the foothills in a more private area, or just move to the suburbs right away.
I feel like this is the time to live downtown, when we are young and childless. I have always wanted to live downtown, and I never really had the chance. Darling Husband only sees the inconvieniences (Many condos only come with 1 parking spot, for example. It’s possible to purchase another.). I think it would be nice to walk to the bars, restaurants, parks, and numerous other activities that Denver has to offer. I know that some aspects could be a pain in the butt, but I think it would be worth it.
So, I need help coming up with more positives to talk about when we discuss where to live! What are your favorite things about living downtown?
Things to consider:
1. His job would be equidistant from downtown or the foothills/suburbs tht we would want to live in. (My job is location flexible)
2. We have a dog, so Darling Husband uses this to mean we need a yard. There are TONS of great parks in Denver (Colorado allows a “verbal leash” assuming your dog can handle it- ours can), and we’re going to have to pick up the poop at some point, anyway! I would want a place near a park (within 5 blcks, tops).
3. We can afford a 1 or 2 bedroom place that doesn’t need any work, plenty of room for us. (DH really doesn’t want to do any work for the next place, since we are totally remodeling the current one)
4. The game plan has always been to buy a place, and then in about 5 years or so, take out a HELOC on that property and buy our “forever” home, rent out place #1. We would get a lot more bang for our buck rent:mortgage ratio downtown.
Obviously I’m biased, so I’m willing to hear both sides! Please, let’s all be polite and make legitimate points (nothing like “I HATE being downtown! or “Suburbs are so much better!” Tell me why!)