Post # 1
I am a new teacher, in California, and the climate is terrible for education at this point. I had a temporary position last year at a great school. They can by no means hire me this year due to seniority and the budget so I have spent all summer sulking and hoping to be invited to work at an equally amazing school. It’s getting close to the end of summer when last minute jobs open up and I have been called to attend my first interview Monday. I might be jumping the gun here, who knows if they’l even want to hire me, but here are my problems:
1. Yes I want a job bad. I love teaching and after all of my schooling and money spent, I want to work in this field, but I have a strong feeling that this school might not be a fit for me and I might be tempted to take an offer just out of desire for work. .
2. There is another school district I would LOVE to work in (including a school I call my “dream school”). I know they will be hiring closer to their first day of school in Sept. If I am offered a job at the not so dream school on Monday and accept that job, I might risk the chance something opening up in my dream school and regret it.
3. I really cannot afford to be picky as my savings are running out (And I’ve got a wedding to plan!) but shouldn’t you be a bit picky when it comes to long term decisions? This is more than a job, its my future career.
Help me Hive! I know I have to wait for the interview to know anything, but I need to know my strategy so I can approach this in the right mind. What would you do?
Post # 3
I’ve been in the same position, and I’ve also been on hiring committees.
If I were you I would take any job you can get. Education is a though field right now, and if you aren’t in a shortage area you could be waiting another year for a job.
Most interviews have a process. They normally have at least 2 rounds of interviews and a demo lesson. So you might have time to see if your dream district has opening. Also, it generally takes a while for contracts to go out.
Post # 4
I say take the 1st job. Once you have more experience, perhaps you can get your dream job. Sometimes our dream jobs, are not what we thought they would be. Sometimes dreams change.
Post # 5
How long can you drag out the interviewing process? Is it usually one interview and they offer you the job at the end of the interview if they like you? Or do you go on several interviews before you have to make a decision?
Personally, I (not in teaching field) accepted a job that would pay the bills and let me continue an internship in my field. But I’m still interviewing for other positions since I am an at will employee. I will feel terrible if I get something right away, but way worse if I don’t go on interviews.
So with that in mind, I would go on the interview on Monday with an idea of what would make that job more ideal (more money, better classroom, benefits, I don’t really know what makes a teaching job good besides the kids). And negotiate for those things if given the option. But also keep an eye out for openings in your dream school. If you take a job at the not dream school, aim for a 1 year contract or something where you would be able to apply for dream school again soon. In this economy I would rather be employed in a bad job than unemployed. Plus at least you’re debating between two teaching jobs, not a potential teaching job and an actual nonteaching job.
Post # 6
It’s always easier to find a job when you have a job.
Go for any experience you can get in your chosen field because it will help you eventually get the job of your dreams down the line. Plus, I don’t really know the situation, but chances are your “dream” school is other peoples’ dream school for the same reasons – so the competition may be tougher.
Post # 7
@aicila: Good advice. Thanks!
@asscherlover: Equally good!
@Miss Beacon: and @babu22: You are right. Experience is key in this field so it is a major factor that could lead me to take a less than perfect job.
Thanks all! Keep it coming. Your feedback is leveling my head so much 🙂
Post # 8
Do you know anyone at the dream school who you could ask about potential jobs? That way you can have an idea if they might offer a position you would be interested in (I’m assuming you have a preference/specialization in a grade/subject).
Post # 9
I was sort of in the same position as you. I was looking around in April/May. I was really hoping to be offered the position of lead teacher in the classroom I was already in but I knew I couldn’t wait around and see if that would happen. I even went on an interview for a part-time position to a school where I don’t really agree with their philosophy, but I knew I could try in order to pay my bills! In the end, I got a great job at a different school (a school my mom has taught in for 15 years and I attended for 2 years) and I’m happy with the way things turned out. The school I was at did offer me the job after I had a verbal contract with the school I will be working at. In the end I chose to honor the verbal contract and sign with the other school. I really weighed everything out and I think that things happen for a reason and as they should. I would take the job that will hopefully be offered to you and then go from there. It is better to have a job then to have none at all especially with school close to starting.
Post # 10
@asscherlover: Yes. I would prefer High school, the interview Monday is middle school. I don’t know anyone at dream school, but they have indicated on their employment website that a High school position is available in my subject…sigh.
Post # 11
@star_dust: Thanks for the advice! Helps ALOT.lol. What you experienced sounds so frustrating. I have friends who have been offered jobs at their first choice schools way after the first day of school when principals realized that they were over enrolled. By that time they had already agreed to part time contracts at other schools. Its like, um…where were you when I was looking?
Post # 12
- Wedding: June 2010 - Tannery Pond at the Darrow School
You can always take the first job (if you get it) but keep an eye out for a position at your dream job. It’s not ideal but stuff like that happens all the time, you have to look out for you first!
Post # 13
I was in a very similar situation and went on ALL job interviews I could. I got a few offers and I was very upfront with the principals ONCE I was given an offer–at one interview I told the principal “I am very impressed with your school and what we have discussed. I know I would enjoy working here–HOWEVER if a position opens up closer to where I live (this school was 50+ minutes away from where we relocated to), I will look into it”…he picked up the phone right then and there and called another principal that ran a school 10 minutes from my house and told her that she needed to hire me asap.
Anyways…where I’m going with that is, if you interview at a MS, you should mention “my experience lies within HS however I know my skills can translate to MS..”, you never know if talking about being a “HS” teacher may open doors on another interview.
I hope that makes sense…12 hours of curriculum training today will impact any teachers communication skills 🙂
Post # 14
I am teacher and just went through this process recently. I took the first job I was offered b/c who knew if anyone else would hire me and I need a job. I can always transfer next year, just as long as I’m in the system NOW as a teacher/full-time employee. My husband is also a teacher and took the first job he was offered when he applied 6 years ago. He only had one job offer but that was all he needed! 🙂 He didn’t love his school the first year but left a year after and is now at a school he is happy at. Best of luck to you!
Post # 15
@PamelaBrit: I know! It is so frustrating. But like a PP said, once you have a job it gets much easier to get another one. So you should take that into consideration too.
Post # 16
I can relate to this…I just graduated in last summer and taught my first year in a VERY rough inner city school. Is this my ideal situation? No, but it was a job and teaching positions are very hard to come across..At least where I currently am. I came home some days crying my eyes out and wondering if teaching was even for me. I know I am an awesome and energetic teacher, but the climate of your school can really take a toll on you, especially if you know it’s not where you want to be. Now, on the other hand, I learned SO MUCH and wouldn’t take it back for the world. The experiences encountered outweighed all of the days I wanted to give up.
Now, here I am, in a new city because my fiance found an engineering position. I can’t find a job here and it stinks, however I know that now my priority is to get into a district I LOVE. I am going to sub to get my foot in the door. Have you considered that?? I have heard from many people that it’s a wonderful way to get yourself noticed. That is my plan.
In the end, you have to do what is best for you. I am not for sure though if I would wait for another district to hire you. I don’t know how your area is, but I have applied for over 30 positions and no phone calls..I have also gotten emails saying employers have had over 600 applicants for one position. Now, I am not saying take a job just because it is a job..I honestly think it’s sad that we have to be in that situation, but you have to do what you can do. I KNOW that I am an awesome teacher and bring alot to the table, but I feel as though we are just one in many applying for these postitions. Employers are basically judging whether you get an interview by a piece of paper, rather than personality and enthusiasm..Makes me sad:(
If I were in your position, I would either…
1. Take the job at your NOT “dream school”. Who knows, you may love it when you actually get in there. Gain experience!!!
2. Wait it out and try and sub in a district that you think would be perfect. This way, you can really get a feel for that school and whether or not you really are a good fit.
GOOD LUCK:) I am with you all the way here!!