- 6 years ago
- Wedding: September 2009
Our puppy is now almost 7 months old now, and she’s ALWAYS been a “STUFF EATER” and I’m not just talking chewing things… she chews AND swallows, which makes even the not valuable stuff a concern when we’re sitting there wondering how she is supposed to poop out a piece of neoprine bigger than her head after she just swallowed it whole. I swear, she’s like a snake, she can somehow get her jaws around things WAY bigger than she should, and she gets sick when she tries to pass them later – meaning lots of vomit and diahrea to clean up, along with expensive trips to the vet.
We thought it was a puppy thing and have worked with her constantly to teach her not to chew/eat things, and for a couple of weeks there it looked like she was getting better, and then BAM, it gets way worse again. Here is a list of stuff she has not only chewed, but in most cases swallowed!:
- the kitchen baseboards
- pieces of the kitchen door
- legs of the kitchen table
- kitchen cabinet doors
- a foot-long neoprine ace bandage
- the carpet off of our living room steps
- the cord to our portable fan
- DH’s shoes
- she eats the rocks we use to landscape the yard
- she’s been eating the fence outside
- cat toys
- tug of war rope (just swallows big pieces of it whole)
- the cone we put on her head to keep her from being able to eat things!
- her dog collar
- the walls
- baby grand piano bench leg
She has food out ALL the time, and she’s never alone because she always has the other dog to play with and I’m here most of the time as well. She also has tons of toys and she gets plenty of bones and pig ears to chew. What the heck is wrong with her?! We can’t afford much more destruction or vet bills, and she’s getting too old now to just blame this on being a puppy!
When did your puppy stop chewing? How much longer must we endure this?!