Post # 1
We are about 5 months out and FI’s parents haven’t started researching or planning the rehearsal dinner. We are planning on having about 30 people total.
I really don’t have a preferance as to where it is/how formal it is. But I think that with 30 people, it should be booked relatively soon. I don’t want to nag Fiance to nag his parents because I know they want to be the ones to take care of it, but I kind of feel like they need to get moving.
Post # 3
If you don’t have a preference for where it will be and there are several possible venues, probably 2-3 months ahead is plenty of time.
Can you have Fiance ask his parent’s when they plan to start organizing it? It might make you feel better if you know their timeline.
Post # 4
My Future Mother-In-Law is planning on having it booked 6 months out.
Post # 5
We booked our place right away, but only because one parent involved (who shall remain nameless ) was convinced that everything would book up a year out. Turns out, the place we wanted only needs maybe a month or two notice.
Could you bring it up in a casual way? Maybe next time you talk to them, just ask if they have started looking into it, or if they need suggestions or help (not to add more to your plate, but it’s good to know if something is holding up the process so you can address it).
Post # 6
I would let them know to start looking now if they want to rent a space or a private restaurant room.
Post # 7
Ours was booked about 4 months in advance but I have friends whose entire engagements were shorter than that and their IL’s were still able to make the necessary arrangements for the Rehearsal Dinner with adequate notice.
Post # 8
We booked ours so far in advance it was ridiculous. Like, I think we signed the contract in November or December? My ILs are very big on planning ahead though. My Future Mother-In-Law has been asking me for 3 months when I plan on sending invitations!
I would bring it up casually, such as asking if they’d had any ideas yet about what they’d like to do. I would be curious too if I hadn’t heard anything even mentioned yet.
Post # 9
Thanks all. I’ll bring it up to the fiance and to them (casually) the next time I talk to them.
I’m one of those who would rather book things far in advance than be scrambling at the end!
Post # 10
My Fiance is trying to book in over a year out (all the vendors look at him like he is crazy). Why? His parents are excited about it and our priest was wondering where it is. I would say around 3 months is the latest I would wait.