Post # 1
My wedding is one week from today (eek!), and I have an outdoor ceremony followed by a reception in a hotel ballroom. If it rains, we can have our ceremony in the lovely covered courtyard of the hotel (not quite as beautiful as the park with the gazebo we’d be using for the outdoor ceremony, but still lovely).
The ceremony is at 6 pm, but because we’d have to notify all the vendors and guests and allow for enough time for the hotel to set up in the courtyard, we would have to decide around noon of that day if we are going to go with the rain plan or not. The question is – how likely does the chance of rain have to be for us to go with the rain plan? Let’s take today’s forecast as an example. Right now it’s a little cloudy and just stopped raining. Our local TV station’s website is currently calling for partly cloudy but no rain after 3 pm. Accuweather.com is saying there is a 40% chance of rain from 5-8pm tonight. Weather.com is saying there is a 30% chance of rain for 5 pm, but just a 10% chance of rain from 6 pm onward. What do do with all this conflicting information?
If today were your wedding day and you had to make the call right NOW, what would you do? Thanks, ladies!!
Post # 3
You can never tell this far out whether it will rain or not. For now, stick to plan A. On the morning of the wedding, check a radar and see if there are clouds on the way and when they expect to arrive. If you think you’re going to get rained on, then call all your vendors that morning to switch to plan B.
You could call them now to explain what plan B is, but you never know if that’ll just confuse them about where they’re supposed to who up. So I wouldn’t tell them about plan B unless you decide to go with it on the morning of your wedding.
Good luck! And here’s wishing for sun on your special day!
Post # 4
When I was looking into wedding venues, I found that usually the sales/event managers made the call on whether or not to move the weddings inside. They made the decision 3 hours before the ceremony time. But if it’s up to you, based on the forecast you mentioned, I would chance it and keep it outside.
Post # 5
We had a similar dilemna and held out until that morning. We finally ended up changing the venue that day to our back up location, but it was stressful. That said, I think I’d still wait it out. Just make sure you’ve thought through what details need to be taken care of and how you’ll notify your guests. We didn’t have a specific plan set up (though we did send rain location notices with the invitations). It might help to have a website you can direct them to or to designate someone to notify people.
Post # 6
We had a tent on hold for our wedding. A week out, the forecast said that the rain would clear by Saturday. We cancelled the tent. It rained every day up until the wedding and the wedding was perfectly clear. I would go ahead with it being outside. Even if there are some sprinkles early in the day, most likely you won’t need to cancel the outdoor plans unless there is a downpour at night.