- 2 years ago
- Wedding: October 2014 - Church
So I work in a very small firm of just four of us. Every year I have a performance review and during that time I am given the opportunity to negotiate a pay raise, vacation days, and whatever else. I live in Canada so I already get 6 months of mat leave with 55% of my salary paid to me from EI (and then 6 months of parental leave that DH or myself can take or split between the two of us that is 55% of his or my salary, whoever is taking it – so I can take up to 12 months with my job being protected). For those unfamiliar with the Canadian system a portion of your wage is deducted off of each paycheque that goes into Employment Insurance so if you find yourself fired, laid off, or taking parental leave you receive some of that money that covers up to something like $48,000.00 per year. My review is coming up in the next couple of months and I am not currently pregnant (that I know of, though we are trying) – should I wait until I’m actually pregnant and in that time that I need to notify my boss to negotiate a top up while I’m gone, or would it be okay to negotiate in January before I’m expecting or before I’m ready to disclose? For those bees that have negotiated this: have you been successful? How did you go about this? (I know from what I have read and SIL’s recent experience that if I get this I absolutely need this in writing if I successfuly negotiate this or I may end up SOL). Any advice would be much appreciated!