Where were you on 9/11?

posted 3 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
3557 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I was in 6th grade. That morning while the towers were being hit we were watching Monarch Butterflies hatch. Our school went on lockdown and wouldn’t let us outside even though it was a nice day. As students we knew something was up, but we didn’t know what. At the end of the day they gathered us in our homerooms and told us what happened to prepare us for what was going to be on TV when we got home. I rode the bus home and watched the news by myself until my parents got home.

Post # 4
30284 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

@chelseakayd:  5th grade? I officially feel old. 😉  It was my freshman year of college, I literally had been in school for 3 weeks when my roommate and I received a phone call from her mother – neither of us picked up because of how early it was, but the machine picked up and her mother basically said something like “wake up girls and turn on the news!!”  Then we turned the tv on and just watched in silence.  Thinking of everyone who lost their lives and/or loved ones on that day!  Hard to believe it’s been 12 years since that day.

Post # 5
7191 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2013

I was a freshman in high school, living in California. My mom and I went to pick up my best friend for school, and when we got there her mom opened the door and said “We’re under attack”. We watched a little bit of what was happening on the news while our moms decided if they wanted to keep us home from school. They decided to send us to school, and I remember being extremely upset that some of the teachers wouldn’t let us watch the news to see what was happening. I learned about the towers falling while passing to my next class. 

9/11 is always such an emotional day for me, and I feel so much for people who lost loved ones that day, and all of the firefighters, EMTs, paramedics, and cops who lost their lives while trying to save others.

Post # 6
1355 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - Vine Street Church

I was a junior in high school, and I was in first period English class immediately following morning assembly. We were unsurprisingly called back for a second assembly and no classes were held that day because everyone was watching the news and couldn’t focus on class. Some people got picked up early, but not many because we’re in Tennessee.

One of my coworkers was supposed to be at a meeting at the World Trade Center on 9/11, but he missed his train and had to wait. He was on the second train to get there late when the planes hit, and everyone at the meeting where he was supposed to go died. We don’t discuss 9/11 with him at all.

Post # 7
203 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

It was my freshmen year of high school. I was in biology class when the teacher immediatly flipped on the tv. I remember watching the plane hit the second tower and thinking it was a replay of what happened when I realized that I just saw it happen live! It was a very emotionally devestating day. TV’s were on in every classroom and the teachers asked the students if we felt like having class or just wanted to sit and watch the news.

Post # 8
1779 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I was in 8th grade chorus when they made an announcement but I don’t remember what they said at all. My most vivid memory is that some people were selling a special edition of the paper (maybe NYT?) on the village’s 4 corners and my mom had me ride my bike up to go get one to read. I had never experience something so monumental happening that they had paperboys on our town’s street corners. I really didn’t understand the magnitude… now when I watch the documentaries I just lose it.

Post # 9
1064 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2016

I was in the 11th grade, I went home for spare and found my parents glued to the television. I went back to school and nobody there knew about it yet!

Post # 10
2457 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

*cross-posted on the other thread asking the same question*

Senior year in highschool. Went to the choir room for guitar class and saw some of my fellow students gathered around the tv that they brought out of the closet.

At the time, only one tower had been hit. We were all talking about what a horrible accident it was. And one person kept saying it was an attack, but most of us were in total denial of that… then the second one hit and changed our minds.

We kept the tv on for the whole class. When I was in the hallway aferwards, I saw one of the teachers crying and freaking out. I was told by another student that her son works in the towers (he lived).

I had to go to a doctor’s appointment after that class. At the doctor’s office, the tv was showing exactly the same thing. When my appointment finished, I walked back into the lobby just in time to see one of the towers collapse. I didn’t find out if it was the first or the second one that I saw (judging by timelines, i think it was the second). when i got home there were no towers.

I remember seeing the gas stations more full than I’ve ever seen them on my way home. Cars lining up just to get to a pump.

I informed my mother that I wouldn’t be going back to school that day. She let me stay home. I watched the news and cried basically all day. I remember a minor panic attack when I saw the pentagon footage because my highschool BFF’s mom worked there (she’s fine).

A lot of military vehicles drove by my house. I remember seeing a lot of military stuff that week. I grew up in Tomah, WI and it’s next to Fort McCoy (biggest military base in WI, i believe).

On Thursday, I skipped the last half of school to go to my church for a prayer service. Nobody got in trouble for absences that week.

Post # 11
2627 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Sophmore year of college and I was getting ready for an IT class.  A friend and I went to breakfast to watch the news on the TV, went to class and then class was cancelled.

We spent the rest of the day in our suite living room watching TV as everyone ran in and out of the rooms. So many people were trying to find siblings/family etc. 

Post # 12
5968 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2017

I was in high school in my open first period my senior year. I was in the lounge where me and a few others who had an open first period used to sit and hang out til the start of second period. One of the girls walked up to our table and sat down and very casually said “so i guess a plane flew into a building in NY” . we were all kind of like “oh wow! that sucks!” and left it at that. The bell rang and we walked towards the main hallway and I seen teachers crying and students running for the pay phones (am I old if we still relied on pay phones during my senior year of high school?!) and I walked into the first classroom and they had the tv on. Right when I started watching is when the second plane hit on live television. I still remember the silence and how the news anchors reacted. It was all very confusing at that point and I didn’t quite realize what was happening. The rest of the day is a blur and the next few days were spent being glued to the tv.

Post # 13
251 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I’m in Canada so it was a bit different for us. Nothing really went into lockdown. Sept 11 was the first day of my practicum in the Trauma centre of Calgary. Our hospital went into prep mode waiting for an influx of patients should there be more attacks and our services needed. I know planes were detoured here.

We had a TV at the nurses station on and we watched everything we could. It was a very stressful first day. I remember I stayed super late to try and be of help but by the end of the day we knew that unless more attacks happened the USA wouldn’t need our medical services.

Post # 14
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I was in the third grade. I had no clue what happened until I went to my grandparents after school and they were watching it on tv. A lot of my friends got taken home from school and that’s all I really remember.

Post # 15
6449 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2013

I was in my classroom in 7th grade. I remember not really understanding what was going on and not knowing why everyone was so upset until our teacher turned on the tv.

Post # 16
1584 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I was in tenth grade, in our Home Economics class, when I found out. The rest of the day classes gathered into various rooms, as close as everyone could get together, and watched the news on TV. Such a sad day.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors