Which dress?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
  • poll: Which dress?
    The first one with the empire waist : (41 votes)
    43 %
    The second one with the lace : (55 votes)
    57 %
  • Post # 3
    274 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2018

I love the lace one on you! I personally fee that its a lot more flattering, but I don’t really like empire waisted gowns on anyone.

Post # 4
    135 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Love you in both, but I’m very partial to #1. Beautiful either way!

Post # 5
    476 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I LUV the lace on you!  It gives you a good shape & you honestly look more comfortable in it.  It’s sexy & chic!

Post # 6
    300 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

I would like to see a third option.  Maybe strapless sweetheart neckline. 

Post # 7
    2595 posts
    Sugar bee

I much prefer the lace on you.

The straight neckline plus the high straight waistline of the empire line dress just make you look blocky. Don’t feel too bad about it though, because that style suits almost nobody – it’s not you, it’s the dress.

As a fellow plus size girl, let me say to you not to feel pressured into trying a strapless sweetheart neckline because that’s what the rest of America assumes everyone wants to wear.

While strapless sweetheart would look better than strapless straight, I think dress #2 shows that you look better in a dress with straps or sleeves. Your chest looks much better in the lace dress, it seems to be supporting your boobs better, and the v-neck (in combination with the a-line) makes you look slimmer altogether. In the strapless dress you’re just spilling out of the top which is not a good look – which may be why you do not look very happy wearing it.

Post # 8
    384 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: March 2013

in the first two photos you like kind of like ‘ehh, this is what the wedding industry is telling me to wear, so I guess this is me getting married?’

and in the second dress you’re like ‘outta my way, freakin awesome bride coming through, I’m getting married!’

so… the second one.

Post # 9
    951 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2013 - A Beautiful converted Barn

i think you look stunning in the lace dress! the empire line dress is pretty but the lace gives you a fantastic shape – and the neckline is so pretty and feminine!xx

Post # 10
    339 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

I would say the second one, although you could do better. As a fellow bigger busted lady with kinda wide shoulders, you want straps. Strapless is lovely on smaller frames but with myself and other friends of mine I tend to find that it just draws attention to this huge area of bare flesh and can make you look bigger than you are. You look foxy in the lace 🙂

Post # 11
    657 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

The second one flatters you much much more. With that dress style you’ll want to make sure to invest in some good quality shapewear, it’ll help to enhance your waist (which is already pretty small to begin with), even my teeny size 6 FSIL wore shapewear under her dress!

Post # 14
    3112 posts
    Sugar bee

@MisstoMrs17:  I love the first one way more, but the second one flatters your figure better.  I don’t think you can go wrong.

Post # 15
    110 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

Tough one! The lace dress is beautiful and looks great on you but the strapless has such a nice “feel” to it. What feels more like you? If the lace one feels right, I’d go for it! But if you prefer the feel of the first one then I would shop for something in a flowy fabric but with more shape to it.

Post # 16
    2595 posts
    Sugar bee

@MisstoMrs17:  Have you tried the Maggie Sottero Lorie?

Here it is:

Here is a gorgeous curvy Bee wearing it:

I mentioned it because a. Maggie Sottero is excellent for us big and beautiful girls and b. this one in particular is a good option becuase it is a layer of lace over a layer of satin. The satin provides a bit of extra structure which is always a good thing – it means that the dress does not cling to any bits you might not want it to cling to.

Here are some others:

Maggie Sottero Alaina

Mori Lee Julietta

Allure Woman

Regardless of what you pick – I second the above comment about shapewear, or alternatively a good longline bra or bustier. They make so much of a difference.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors