White gold ring+nickel allergies

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
550 posts
Busy bee

@cbj9:  First off, Congrats and Welcome to the hive! 

For what it’s worth, I’ll tell you about my experiences with white gold. I’ve never worn white gold, only yellow. Sometimes costume jewlery turn my finges green but I’ve been very lucky to be able to wear any type of earrings. In my wild and crazy high school times I actually worn safety pins (after of course they had soaked in rubbing alcohol. Safety first!). The only very odd thing is that I can’t wear a watch on my left hand. I kill it in a few weeks. No idea why. Anyways, fast forward to my FI presenting me with a ring that was white gold. After wearing it, it ended up giving me these awful red welts, my fingers swelled and turned red. I always took it off when I got home and put in on just before I left. We’ve since switched it out to yellow gold and I am much happier.

I hope this doesn’t happen to you, I hope you are able to wear your ring without any problem. Are you able to wear some white gold jewelry to see if you have a reaction? Just as a test?

Post # 4
Member
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I have a pretty bad nickel allergy, and my 14K white gold ring has never bothered me!

Post # 5
Member
1164 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@cbj9:  my nickel allergy is pretty bad. I can’t even wear earrings that aren’t real. After just a couple minutes my ears are hot, red, and itchy. My ring is 14k white gold and I’ve not had any problem with it. A friend at work suddenly started reacting to her white gold ring and she ended up just needing it redipped and she was fine again (she’d worn the ring for 5 yrs at this point) So you may have to get it dipped if you start reacting but you shouldn’t have any problems usually!

Post # 6
Member
7098 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

I have a pretty bad nickel allergy and I cannot wear white gold. Sorry I’m sure that’s not what you want to hear.

Post # 8
Member
1808 posts
Buzzing bee

I was considering wg yrs ago when my hubby and i first started looking at rings. I chose yg…because i was afraid of the nickel in wg. i react the same way as u and even reacted to 18kt white gold. i was looking into palladium and platinum…but wasn’t a fan of the patina. i say buy a 2mm wg wedding band…make sure it has a good return policy. try it out….if u react u can return it and then u know which route to go. personally i wouldn’t chance it though. nickel allergy sucks!!!

Post # 9
Member
4698 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

My nickel allergy has gotten worse over time and gets worse every time I get nickel’d by accident. White gold is a no-go for me. 🙁 DH got me a ring in palladium just to be safe and it’s lovely. 

 

Post # 10
Member
80 posts
Worker bee

He Could check with the jeweler. There are different white gold alloys some are nickel but others are paladium. I checked on this with a few james allen settings and most jn 14k white were palladium alloys. Ended up with platinum tough so ended up didn’t matter anyway. Also the rhodium plating on most white gold will also help prevent issues even if the white gold contains nickel, most 18k white is going to have a fair amount of rhodium since 18k white is fairly yellow without the dip.

 

Good luck

Post # 10
Member
591 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

Sorry to say in my experience that all WG givez me a bad reaction swelling my skin will start to break down crack n even bleed i even have have all my earring posts and backs in 14k Yellow Gold 🙁 i found that out the hard way just last week lost a back got one from my mom WG and the whole back of ear cracked and bleed the next day it really hurt 🙁 nickel allergies are rough good look i would do a test run and check the return policy just for safety in case you do have a bad reaction 

Post # 11
Member
1515 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I’ve been battling an allergy to the nickle in my wedding set for the last year to 18months. The first year and a half I had my engagement ring ring, I had no issues but since then my finger gets red, itchy, scaley and dry. 

I had the rhodium plating re-done and it helped for a short while, but once it starts to wear off (for me the inside of the rings wear faster than the exterior) my finger starts to react again. DH has decided we’ll eventually swap out to a platinum or palladium setting down the road, in the mean time I’m getting it redipped as often as needed and using clear nail polish on the inside.

Post # 12
Member
270 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

cbj9: You are sure that the ring contains nickel? I have white gold, but it’s without nickel (forbidden in EU). I would not wear it if I was in doubt, it’s not worth it. Just think of all other metall you have a daily contact with, and then imagine that beacuase you wore your ering you might have problems with everyday objects. For me it would not be worth it. Nickell allergy is for life.

Leave a comment


Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors