Post # 1
Okay, bees… I am slowly but surely pulling things together for my 12 October wedding! I’m looking for some input on my menu, if you all would be so kind?
We are having a BBQ reception at our home, following our ceremony at a local trailhead. I am going for a homey, intimate feel, and I want everyone to feel well hosted with lots of yummy food and drink. Looks like sis, good friend and I will be DIYing everything but the meats!!
- Antipasto platter – salami, olives, pepperoncini, provolone, mozzarella
- Cheese/fruit platter – grapes, apples, brie, Havarti, cheddar
- Cheese/jam platter – fig jam, goat cheese, pepper jelly, cream cheese
- Nuts – rosemary mix (walnuts, almonds, cashews)
- Veggie tray – ranch dip, broccoli, celery, carrots, cukes, bell peppers
- Assorted crackers/crisps
- Smoked tri-tip or smoked brisket
- Smoked chicken
- BBQ ribs
- Ranch beans
- Green salad
- Mac and Cheese
- Roasted rosemary potatoes OR Sour cream dill potato salad
- Rolls OR grilled garlic bread
- Red Wine
- White Wine
- Iced Tea
- Cake – carrot with cream cheese frosting/butter cake with marzipan and raspberry filling and swiss buttercream frosting
- Cookies – pecan sandies (a family favorite, similar to Russian tea cakes, Mexican wedding cookies, etc.)
- Maybe coffee/tea – but still undecided
Any additions? Subtractions? Substitutions?
Post # 3
Yum yum yum! I would say the only thing missing is biscuits or cornbread!
Post # 4
I agree with @Hot_Sauce on the bread!
Post # 5
As a Wisconsinite I heartily approve of the variety of cheeses in your appetizers. I would probably go with the dill potato salad over the rosemary roasted potatoes because you already have rosemary flavored nuts, and dill potato salad is awesome. I would also add hummus to your veggie plater.
Post # 6
@codysgirl16: Sounds delicious to me! Shall I PM you my address for an invite!! LOL. :p
Post # 7
Ohh I like the corn bread idea. Other than that it looks good! Plenty of tasty options.
Post # 10
can I come?! Yum! I love carrot cake!!
Post # 11
To all my fellow bread lovers – I had forgotten the bread! I have rolls or grilled garlic bread as our options…
I, personally, love a delicious roll (Texas Roadhouse, anyone? mmmm) or two. Orrr three… But they have to be delicious! I was thinking of ordering them from TR…
Post # 12
Add smoked gouda or a blue cheese and pears to the cheese/fruit platter.
Substitute Neufchatel for the cream cheese and add local honey to the cheese/jam platter.
I personally would do a choice of two meats and add one more vegetable to the BBQ menu, but that’s my personal taste. I think the dill potato salad sounds more interesting, and cornbread could be interesting (especially flavored with jalepenos but not many people would go for that).
Add coffee/tea to the dessert menu. Not everyone will want something sweet.
Looks like a great spread!
Post # 13
Yummm to everything!
I DIY’d a huge reception for our guests that couldn’t make it to our desination wedding (about 150 ppl). I would go with the potato salad because it is a lot easier to make ahead of time and it can be served cold / room temperature.
Post # 14
@MrsHS: 150 people? Would you mind discussing with me how you arrived at quantities?
Post # 15
@Anise: FI thought that just two meats would be okay, as well – chicken and tri tip (or brisket)… What other veggie would you go for?
Totally forgot about pears! And I love smoked gouda. Good call. : )
Post # 16
Mmm I would be very happy if I attended a reception that offered this