(Closed) Who gives toasts & when during the wedding do they occur?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
1371 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Traditionally  there is a toast to the bride by someone, a toast by the best man, a toast by the groom and a toast by the father of the bride.  Nowadays many people also add MOH and change the groom speech to a couple speech.  Really I think you should stick to what you are most comfortable with.  I’ve been to a wedding where there was a speech by the best man and a short thank you speech by the couple.  I have been to another where there were about 7 or 8 speeches!  I find they are best done while interspersed throughout the different parts of the meal so people don’t get too fidgety while listening.

Post # 5
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

I thought that the couple was traditionally not expected/supposed to speak at the wedding, from what I understand the rehearsal dinner is the time for the couple’s (or groom’s, or bride’s) speech.  We don’t have honor attendants, 6 groomsmen and 6 bridesmaids.  We’ve both been honor attendants twice in the last year and both gave speeches at both weddings!  We told our attendants that we don’t expect anyone to have to make a speech, but if they want to, there will be time, and I said the same thing to my dad, and FI’s dad.  I think both dads will probably speak briefly and am hoping for some words from the attendants as well.  We are planning to do it after dinner, either before or after the cake cutting, before the first dance.  That way, we can kick off the dancing with the first dance and hopefully keep the dancing going without interruption for the rest of the night!

Post # 6
908 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

My husband spoke at the rehearsal dinner (quick thank you speech). 

At the wedding, the BM and MOH had speeches.  My husbands brother also had a speech, and while he was speaking, my brother decided that he should say something since no one else from our family had said anything.  I gave a quick thank you speech after my brother.  This was when we were first introduced, then we ate dinner and had our first dance after dinner.

We just went with the schedule that our DJ suggested and I think it went well.

The topic ‘Who gives toasts & when during the wedding do they occur?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors