(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 6 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
5428 posts
Bee Keeper

For someone who wants a quick explanation:

Joseph Kony is a guerilla who “creates” child soldiers….

There is a campaign out there called “The Invisible Children”

Post # 5
515 posts
Busy bee

Infamous would be a better word choice.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think this petition will do? Who is the petition aimed towards? By that I mean, who is this petition calling into action? What do you want done about this?

I am honestly looking for information here. Not trying to be rude or anything.

Post # 9
515 posts
Busy bee

@liz.couture:  I did, but I’m still wondering what this petition is meant to accomplish.

Post # 10
670 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

If you can find 30 minutes to watch their video, it explains it. Long story short, they tried to ask politicians for support a few years ago and were told it doesn’t directly affect U.S. interests we’re not supporting it. After the movement grew and protests began, there are now several elected officials helping out. So the idea is that if millions of people write their elected officials, and if more people know who Kony is, there is a good chance he will be found, arrested, and tried at the Hague this year.

The video was just posted on Monday and has already been viewed more than 21 million times. It is well worth watching.

Post # 11
515 posts
Busy bee

So you want the military to find him, then?

Post # 13
14503 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I did some research into this group when it started popping up a few months ago, do so for yourselves before you give them any money or recommend so to your friends.

Post # 14
5296 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@tksjewelry:  we must be on the same wavelength today 😉 You know what really gets me? The same people flooding this on my newsfeed and saying that ‘the U.S NEEDS to get involved in this’ are the same ones that were screaming ‘We are not the world’s babysitter’ when we went to Iraq and Afghanistan. I don’t care what side of that issue you are on, but shouldn’t you at least be consistent? Sadaam and the Taliban weren’t exactly pleasant to their people either.

http://thedailywh.at/2012/03/07/on-kony-2012-2/

Post # 15
1370 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

Although it’s an important issue, before donating or signing a petition for Invisible Children please research them to make sure you know who you’re supporting. There are far better organizations to be supporting to help this issue!

“Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending. “

(some in-text links didn’t transfer to my post here, but can be seen in this link) It is a blog post, but he’s got a ton of sources backing up his information.

Just to be clear, I’m not saying the issue isn’t real, or not to contribute! I’m just asking each of you to be aware of the “charity” you may be donating money to or signing a petition on behalf of!

Post # 16
14503 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@hisgoosiegirl:  There was a great article about that group in an Australian paper, wish I had kept it.  I did more looking into their financials.  Any “charity” that will not allow an outside audit raises my red flags.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors