(Closed) Whos getting married after 2011?

posted 8 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

I had a long engagement.  We were engaged for 3 years until we graduated from college.

Post # 4
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

We are. I know there are at least four or five other 2012 brides on here, we started a post awhile back wondering when the ’12 boards would be up.

Post # 6
34 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Close friends of mine have been engaged since December 2004. They are getting married September 2010. I don’t think they ever came up with a good retort to all the questions such an engagement brings. They were also waiting to finish school; that’s the best response given the timing.

I have been trying to plan a Summer 2011 wedding since the Summer of 2009, and some vendors (photographers, reception sites) are STILL not ready to talk to me with roughly 15 months before my date. And I live in a major city (D.C.). So don’t get discouraged if vendors are cold to you when you try to talk to them now. You can always gather inspiration while you wait to talk to vendors!

Post # 7
312 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

i’ve been engaged since december 2008, so even though my engagement won’t be quite as long as yours it was pretty long at over two years. it’s tough, and it feels like it was never going to get here. people make comments and ask questions, but at the end of the day, who cares? you’re being responsible and doing what’s best for you and your FI, so that’s what’s important. with only a little over 2 weeks left ’til the big day i am SO beyond excited. it gets stressful at the end, but the long wait has made this time even sweeter for me. 🙂 my advice for you (even though you didn’t ask for it) is to enjoy this time together. this is a time you’ll never get back and it’s wonderful and fun. start planning early, and don’t procrastinate (like me)!

Post # 8
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

We haven’t gotten much flak, just more… disinterest. You know, the eyes glaze over like “2012? Oh, okay, talk to me in a year.” which I’m fine with – more time before I get unwanted opinions/advice! Right now the only people who want to talk about the wedding are my FI and my bridesmaids. I think that’s a sweet deal. 🙂 

We’re waiting for graduation as well. We just say that it’s an important marker for us and a decision we’re happy with, but we are anxious to be married already. 

Post # 10
7771 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2010

Hey bees,

Glad to find this thread.  I am now a “2012” bride.  At least!  I planned a large wedding I just “postponed,” due to family drama.  It has been really hard for me, and I wish I had a new set date to tell people.  We decided we want to do everything ourselves, without any help the “second time around.”  Anyway, FI graduates May 2011 and wants to get the best job possible- so that may mean we need to move, and I don’t know if we can save enough before that, being in school.  Long story short- I have no idea when we can get married.  Probably January 2012- but that seems so far away!  We will not be able to tell people a date until we know about his job situation… because that may determine where we are… but I really want a specific venue here!

Post # 11
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Not long after mine!

24th October 2014, for the same reason – finishing university.

Post # 12
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Mine’s in June 2012 and we will have been engaged for 2.5 years by then. It is kind of frustrating dealing with people who  lose interest in the wedding discussion when you tell them the date. It’s like they think it suddenly doesn’t matter anymore. I would love to get married next year if I could, but my FI wants to finish school first so 2012 it is.

Post # 13
1306 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

May 2012 here.  Right now it sucks, lol.

Post # 14
758 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2016

Me! Right now we’re hoping for summer 2012, but it could be even later. :/

Post # 15
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

yay! There are other 2012 brides out there! I’ve only had 1 bad experience with talking to vendors, and that was the florist.  I already have my church booked, and the reception venue we are likely to go with was SUPER nice about planning ahead.  They would even let me book now if I wanted to.  The only people who give me a hard time about the long engagement are people who don’t really know me or FI and our situation (finishing school).

One thing I am doing…and it probably isn’t the best thing to do, when I go speak with vendors, if they give me that “you’re not getting married for over 2 years…go away” look, I will NOT book them.  I want to work with people who are nice and don’t treat potential customers like dirt!

Post # 16
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

I started planning just after we got engaged in December 09 and didn’t get and flak from any vendor in NYC, even though I told them we’re planning a January 2012 wedding.  We’re going to book our venue and buy my dress this summer and I’m extremely excited, but it just still feels soooo long away. :/

The topic ‘Whos getting married after 2011?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors